Friday July 17, 1829

1829 July 17th Friday

(Got up at ) 6 25/60(Went to bed at )11 5/60

 At my desk at 7 25/60 and till 10 wrote out all but the first 14 lines of 12th geological lecture (of 30th ultimo) and wrote out page 38 the classification méthodique written on the board at our 13th geological lecture Thursday 2 July (2nd  instante mense). Wrote out also 24th and 25th botany and 28th and 29th chemistry lectures of Tuesday 30th ultimo and Thursday 2nd instante mense. 

Breakfast at 10 to 11 10/60 having skimmed over Galignani’s Messenger and my letter from Miss MacLean, 3 pages and part of one end, dated July 13th, Richmond Hill, enclosing a letter from Bredalbane to her, from which it seems that her brother is determined to go to Manheim in January to economise, in which case Sibella says she must return to her father – then there will be an end of her coming here.

Miss  MacLean’s letter unsealed came in an envelope with a few lines from Miss Hobart. Kind, and as if she now knew me well. When I called Lady Stuart there, hardly saw Miss Hobart a moment alone.  Just said Sibella said I knew Vere quite well, understood her perhaps better than anyone else did.  Oh then, said she, I will not go to Rambouillet, but talked this off and she would go next week, but said I was particularly interested in the lectures next week. The fact is I expect my cousin.  Does she really care about me? From one or two expressions, I should say she does, but then she seems as if she did not wish me to find it out.

Lady Stuart knows no more than a goose of geography.

Miss Savile better. Lady Stuart de Rothesday very unwell today.   Miss Savile’s illness, Lady Stuart told me owing to a stoppage of her cousin the day of the breakfast and Lady Stuart de Rothesay nervous lump in her throat, harassed and as if fainting when we came away.

 Miss Hobart could not go out.

In returning went to No. 337 Rue Saint Honoré to inquire about steam-packets from Ostend to London.  The man (M. March) not at home.  Then to Madame Estés for shoes.  Then to the bank – the exchange 25/50.  Mr. Phillips had not known it so high for long.  Got for Ƚ100 2550-16 francs.  Then set my aunt down at home and got to the embassy at 2 3/4.

Sat a long while with Lady Stuart.  Read her the part of Bredalbane’s letter relating to Hugh MacLean going abroad.  She asked if Miss MacLean mentioned Mr. Long.  Somehow (unaccountably), I had read my letter so slightly and remembered it so little, that I said no –  she was probably offended at my having no faith, and never mentioned him!

At 3 40/60 with Lady Stuart in Lady Stuart’s chariot to the church of Sainte Elizabeth.

Lady Stuart and I very good friends.

My own carriage followed.

Counted over my money etc. etc. Dressed.

The carriage being late, was annoyed, and said it was for George to look after these matters. I should have done it myself had I not depended on him. pothered over this in my own mind and meant to speak to him about it afterwards, but happened to hear Henry do quite as bad to Lady Stuart, so determined to say nothing to George, but merely give him less opportunity in future.

Cool, dull, pleasant morning.  No sun.  Began to rain while I was at the embassy.  Rained fast when we came away and when I got home, and rainy evening afterwards. 

Coffee at 9 5/60.  Came to my room at 10 1/2.


WYAS Finding Numbers SH:7/ML/E/12/0057 and SH:7/ML/E/12/0058


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835