Monday, July 20, 1829

1829 July 20th Monday

(Got up at) 6 1/4 / (Went to bed at) 11/14

Musing that if I went to Brussels with Lady Stuart and Miss Hobart the Barlows might meet me there to go down the Rhine to Manheim – thence to Munich, Innsbruck, Padua, Ferrara, Bologna, etc. in Italy or to Vienna first? Or return home more immediately from Manheim? Conning over maps particularly that of the Tyrol, much to see there, till 8 40/60.  Then think it a pity to make this tour now; ought to do it when more at liberty, when better instructed – In fact, would rather not go with Lady Stuart and Miss Hobart, and then should be quiet at home and save my money and improve myself and watch how my aunt goes on. She is getting so dropsical, I think she cannot live very long. Then looking over my papers and considering what answer to write Briggs.  Breakfast at 10 – index line 28 on the next page.

From near 3 to 5, wrote 3 pages and the ends and a line under the seal to Miss MacLean – very kind letter.  

Scarce know what to make of her account of herself.  ‘Albane’s letter confounds me’. . . . yet if you cannot get here, if you may not be trusted here, how go to Mull – how be trusted there?  Vere says not much – She thinks the more? ‘and we have in common, at last, the feeling of anxiety – Surely it cannot happen to Mr. Long to have all his patients watched with so deep an interest as you are’ . . . . . would have met her at Calais or Boulogne could she have crossed with the Hunters and would still do as much as in those days of yore when you so scolded me for the romance of the forty miles’ . . . . 

‘my aunt is not well enough to set me  at ease on her account – If Miss MacLean does not come my aunt will be almost as much disappointed as myself – ‘You ‘thank me for my ‘pretty words’ – well!  be it so – I could, and should write many more, if all that lies within my heart were crowded on my paper – Forgive me, Sibella, for that in which I have sometimes had the evil fortune to annoy you – your long and serious illness – the passing thought, or fearful boding’ that you are going to cheat me of the three months, makes me oftentimes more sad than you may fancy’ . . . . . 

Did Vere tell you we talked of a little tour together?  How it will end I know not – the two younger of the party would like it; but I fear Lady Stuart is not quite well . . . . . . She is so good and kindhearted about you, I quite like her.  If  we go, it must be contrived for you to meet us and return with me?  

There is withal, an archness about Vere, that pleases and amuses me – She will have Henry Yorke – I believe, though she little guesses that I know anything about it. It is an absolute comfort to me to know her; and this is always what I think of whenever I have a bad account of them. We go to Rambouillet on Saturday to return on Monday; and I shall call for her tomorrow for a drive. You cannot, for I do not myself, comprehend the sort of interest I feel. I should be delighted for her to marry happily, and . . . . . . . to have a little girl – She would bring it up beautifully; and I should dote upon it!  

Who, Sibella, has ever felt for you a regard less changeful than my own?’ – an account of the Somnambule – mentioned the Lawtons being at Harrogate on Scarborough, that Miss MacLean not to wonder if she had not an early answer to her letter to her, about sending her watch. 

Enclosed my letter to ‘Miss MacLean of Coll John Saint John Long’s Esquire, 41 Harley Street’ in an envelope, with a line or 2 two (asking if the letter was in time if not to send it back and I would write another for Friday) to Miss Hobart’ which George took at 5 1/2 by our clocks i.e. 5 25/60 by the day. 

Breakfast at 10 and read over Galignani’s Messenger.  Dressed, then between 11 and 12  Henry brought a Sunday parcel from Miss Hobart containing the little penwiper she had made me, and some small bits of black merinos for it that spared of what I took her the other day, and a little note ‘I have the audacity to send you the very ugliest and untidiest penwiper ever seen . . . I  did  not see you the other day you know, and know nothing to prevent my going out with you a little tomorrow after two.  What say you to Saturday going for Rambouillet?  Your affectionate, Vere Hobart.  I give up the Bishop for you!’ 

In about 10 minutes or 1/4 hour, sent back by Henry the following ‘Monday morning, Dear Miss Hobart, not ugliest and untidiest, but to my eye, at least, best and prettiest of penwipers. I will call for you tomorrow at 3, or perhaps a few minutes later.  Nothing can be better than your plan for Rambouillet.  Agreed – we go on Saturday. We fix and rest tomorrow. I meant to write to Sibella today , but I am unexpectedly in the midst of letters on business, and uncertain whether I shall have any time to spare, or not – affectionately yours A.L. – Sorry to hear from Henry that Lady Stuart has got a little cold, and is not so well today – I hope she did not get cold in seeing the windows.

My note no sooner gone than Perrelet came at 11 1/2.  Talking to him about 1 one thing or other 1/2 hour.  He has three poëles and the kitchen fire, and only burns about three voies or four per annum.  A cheminée burns twice, or 2 1/2 times as much wood as a poële.  Coals so dear here, does not think we shall save much by burning them instead of wood.  Then went in to my aunt, and staid with her some time.  Very poorly this morning, so swelled all over she could scarce move; all her flesh sore.  Did not know what it was; said, as she often does, she thought it was not dropsy.  I never reply at all in the affirmative, but merely say it is a proof of great weakness.  I certainly think her becoming rapidly and severely anasarcous.

Then read my letter from Marian, Shibden, dated Wednesday 15th instante mense,  three pages and the ends.  Good account of all at Shibden, my young trees, etc. etc.  Account of Mr. Norris having inadvertently turned the Lower Brea water out of its old course, but no harm intended – all be set right again.  The Walkers leave Crow Nest on Tuesday.  I suppose Mr. Walker will be married immediately on his arrival in the South, and as they are going abroad for a year, I fancy they set off directly for Paris’.  Marian declined sending any letter by him.  Miss Walker, his sister, declined going so they bring Miss Edwards, his cousin, with them.  Will be very civil to him. Glad we are in a presentable apartment.  Throp has been employed for  a few days (the Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Monday before Marian wrote).  Leyland well satisfied with John’s son.  The 1/2 year’s bill something more than what I left with John to pay it.

Wrote 1 3/4 pages to Mr. James Briggs and sent it to the post office at 2.  To send notices to quit to Hardcastle, Sowden, and Hemingway, but expected to agree with them.  Only wishes to ask what the farms were fairly worth, and therefore did not expect to have many changes.  As for Oates and Pearson, they must have notices.  The latter a good tenant, and should be sorry to lose him.  Balmfirth always selling off, and the only tenant I wished to get rid of.  Not to let anything or let anyone take possession without my instructions expressly to that effect.  Should not have consented to take Charles Robinson on the present terms. If he will not pay the old rent etc. etc. vide cop.?  let him give up the land.  As soon as Wilkinson can satisfy Mr. Parker about a title to the coal the money, shall be paid. 

Backwards and forwards talking to my aunt.  Mentioned going out with Miss Hobart tomorrow and to Rambouillet on Saturday.  Said I would say I could not make a little tour with Lady Stuart and Miss Hobart for my aunt so unwell, could not leave her.  She seemed pleased; said she be always afraid not for herself but for Lady Stuart’s being laid up on the road.

Then from about 3 to 5 1/2, wrote to Miss MacLean, and wrote the first 26 1/2 lines of the last page and sent off my letter.  Dressed.  Dinner at 6.  Came to my room at 7 3/4, then wrote the last 10 lines of the last page and all the above of this. Went in the drawing room at 9 10/60.  coffee at 9 1/2.  Came to my room at 10 1/4.  Fine day – F67° now at 10 50/60 – feel it warm, and have felt it warm all the day, perhaps from not having been out.

[Marginal note – No lecture today on the mammifères.]

 

WYAS Finding Numbers SH:7/ML/E/12/0058 and SH:7/ML/E/12/0059


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835