Saturday, July 18, 1829

1829 July 18 Saturday

(Got up at) 5 20/60 / (Went to bed at) 11 1/4

 

Breakfast at 6 20/60.

Then walked about reading Leçon 37ième Chimie Générale.

On arriving at the museum, no lecture today on the mollusques – had forgotten this.  Went to the École de Botanique.  Nobody admitted today, but the gardener very civilly let me in, and when one came to turn me out, said I was sure M. Neuman would allow me to stay, and so I was allowed to remain.  Arbor there; much interested – the time seemed as nothing. Excellent arrangement for study.  Examined cactus, cierges, les sedums, among which  sedum officinalis, house-leek, les malvacees, the guimauve or althaea, les casyophylliés, oeillets, etc. 

At the museum at 11 1/2.

20th geological lecture from 12 to 2 6/60.  Then fiacre à l’heure from 1 11/60 to 4 3/60.  Drove to Becket’s Place de l’École de Médicine.  Bought as recommended by M. Audoin Traité D’anatomie Descriptive etc. par Hippolyte Cloquet,  quatrième Édition, Paris, 1828. 2-volume quarto.  Looked at the Manuel d’Anatomie par Jules Cloquet avec figures, quarto première livraison, Paris, 1825.  33 livraisons publiées à 3/50.  Will be about 15 livraisons in all – publishing by subscription – 1 one delivered per month I think.  Said I would think about this – it seems a good work.

Then drove to Madame Galvani’s.  She, as usual at the hour on Saturday, arranging her flowers – a whole cargo for 1/25. Almost incredibly little for so large a quantity of giroflees, stocks, oeillets, asphodel of mauve, verges d’or etc.  Fifty minutes with Madame Galvani.  She is to come on Friday at 1 3/4 if in the meantime she hears from me that I  shall be at home on that day.

Then home at 4 3/60.  Had my hair done and dressed.  Cutting open and reading the first 15 pages Volume 1 Traité d’Anatomie.  Then wrote this journal of today which took me till 6.

Rainy day, for though fair when I left home this morning, there had been heavy rain just before.  It rained a little almost all the time I was in the École de Botanique, and nearly all the way home, and heavy rain between 5 and 6 and pouring now at 6.

Dinner at 6 10/60.  Came to my room at 7 40/60.  Settled my accounts.  Cutting open part of Volume 1 Traité d’Anatomie.  Coffee at 9 10/60.  Came to my room at 10 1/4.  Finished cutting open Volume 1 d’Anatomie. 

Very rainy evening after dinner (vide line 5 above).

 

WYAS Finding Number SH:7/ML/E/12/0058


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835