Thursday, July 23, 1829

1829 July

Thursday 23

(Got up at )5 20/60  / (Went to bed at) 11 50/60

Breakfast at 6 20/60.  At the Jardin des Plantes in 33 minutes from the Boulevard per fiacre at 7 27/60.  34th botanical lecture from 7 1/2 to 8 3/4, then walked about for 1/4 hour, then and afterwards in the amphitheatre reading the chemical lesson (leçon 39ieme) Généralités sur les substances végétales.  39th chemical lecture began at 9 20/60; came away at 10 20/60.  27th lecture on the mollusques from 10 35/60 to 11 3/4, then 22nd geological lecture from 12 to 1 35/60. 

Walked home.  Sauntered along the Quais occasionally stopping to look at the prints but got home in 1 5/60 hour at 2 40/60, a good deal heated.  Changed my dress.

Found on my desk kind little note from Lady Stuart thanking me for the pâte de jujubes. ‘I have to thank you, dear Miss Lister, for your kind thought of my cough, which, thank God, is much better; it was just what I wanted the night it was so bad.  I sent you books to look over, which your penetrating eye will find out more than I have been able to do.  I want to find out the price of floating down the Rhine; I have many fine Ideas’ . . . . . . About which seems  to want my help – determined however to go  to Fontainebleau.

Kind note also from Miss Hobart ‘Dear Miss Lister,  You are only too kind and thoughtful, and why not take your credit of your consideration (or considerateness)? I could not keep it, and only think how lucky, when I placed it before her, she said she had wished so much for some the night before, and I know that  is your reward . . . . . . The wind seems to blow us at present to Fontainebleau.  You will hear more on Friday, pray ask for aunt in case I should be out.  Ever yours, Vere Hobart’

Letter too from Mariana dated ‘No. 3 York Place, Harrogate, Friday 17 July, 1829’.  3 pages and the ends – Eliza going to be married to the vicar of Scarborough, Mr. Millar [Miller]! ‘and much as I rejoice at her finding a home independent of her paternal one, I cannot help, in my heart, being sorry for the poor little man who has made an unlucky choice.  He appears sensible, gentlemanly and liberal; his private fortune is between five and six hundred a year, the living of Scarborough is three hundred’ but he is endeavoring to get the new church at Maidstone in Kent, his own county. Her conduct to my mother in this business has been far from what it ought to have been, but it is in vain to say a word.  Indeed it is best to pass it over in silence if possible. I am heartily glad there is a chance of their getting rid of her. Eliza is now at Haugh End; will probably be married about Christmas.  Saturday 18 going to York to remain till Monday.  She says our drawing room carpet ought to be a very good one for £14 instead of  making and all, upwards of 600 francs = £24. Mr. Charles Lawton ‘tolerably cheerful and looks well in the face – consulted Dr. Hull as he passed through Manchester and has been taking his medicines but with little effect.  I am very much inclined to think this numbness in the hands is a slight paralysis of the nerves. Steph has been over and he did not say yes, but I objected that he did not contradict me when I said what I thought . . . . . I am glad you like and get on well with the de Noés, you will have all you want by and by, so be of good cheer and don’t let me see your name in the Gazette, of which I have some fears’ . . . .

Wrote out the whole of Tuesday but  the first 7 lines, the whole of yesterday and so far of today which took me till 5 50/60.  Had my hair done.  Looking at guidebooks.  Dinner at 6 1/4.  Came to my room at 7 35/60.  Wrote 3 pages and the ends and under the seal to Mariana, which took me till near 10 (coffee at 9, which interrupted me about 20 minutes).  Came to my room at 10 1/2 after having stood talking some time to my aunt.  Wrote my letter in my own room. Very fine day – F70° now at 11 1/4 in my bedroom. 

  

WYAS Finding Numbers SH:7/ML/E/12/0060 and SH:7/ML/E/12/0061


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835