Tuesday, July 21, 1829

1829 July

Tuesday 21

(Got up at) 5 / (Went to bed at)11 35/60

Breakfast at 6 10/60 to 6 40/60.  Took a fiacre from the Boulevard and thence to the Jardin des Plantes in 1/2 hour.  Got there at 7 1/4 so had my choice of seats; took that next M. Desfontaine’s assistant, which a lady afterwards came to claim, saying it was always taken.  I said it was not taken when I came in.  She seemed to doubt that and I looked cross to have the lie thus implied, and told [her] she might ask the gentleman behind whether it was taken or not, on which she walked off.

 33rd botanical lecture from 7 1/2 to 8 1/2, then walked about.  Read 38ième leçon Chimie Générale and 38th chemical lecture began at 9 17/60.  Came away at 10 20/60; to 11 35/60 26th lecture on the Mollusques, then 21st geological lecture from 12 to 1 35/60. 

To my surprise, there was only one fiacre on the stand, and that just taken.  Walked to the next stand Place Maubert 1/4 hour.  Took a fiacre then and got home at 2 1/4.

Gave out wine for ourselves and the servants.  My aunt thinks of taking to Hollands and water and began with it yesterday.  I too have drunk no wine these last three or four days, and shall not take more than a glass when I take any, for some time to come, fancying myself as well without it, on my vegetable diet.

Dressed. Off to the Embassy at 3 5/60.  Found Miss Hobart with Mr. Foster in the garden. Then came old Lady Stuart and the children.  She took them, and I Miss Hobart, and we set off to the Diorama.  Lady Stuart having a call to make, took Miss Hobart to the Passage des Panoramas Chez Felix, to eat meringues.  She thought them excellent.  Then followed to the Diorama – a view of Venice, and a view of Mont Saint Gothard ‘en venant de Faïdo chef-lieu de la Val Levantine’.  Then to the Passage de L’opéra, then parted with Lady Stuart and the children and took Miss Hobart to the nacre shop, Labrun’s,  No. 55 Rue de Richelieu, set her down at the Embassy and got home at 6 10/60.

Mrs. and Miss Barlow here come to dinner – had been here 1/2 hour.  Changed my dress.  Dinner at 6 35/60.  The Barlows afterwards 1/2 hour in my room, then coffee at 8 1/2.  Mrs. Barlow with me in my room from about 9 to 10.  Called her in to pay her and did pay her with thanks the 1500 francs she had let me have (originally lent to my aunt), ever since my return from England.

Got talking.  She had received me so coldly that even my aunt had observed it, and given a talking while I dressed, for I had called Jane to sit by me while my hair was done.  Mrs. B, in spite of her denying it, is evidently jealous of Miss Hobart. I said my feelings were more like those of a parent to a child than anything else, but Mrs. Barlow seemed skeptical.  However, she got almost right and was beginning to say she was mine etc. etc., and we should have had a scene but it was getting too late.  Have even said to my aunt I shall almost be glad when they are well off. 

I think Miss Hobart begins to rather like my attentions. I joked her about her writing she would give up the bishop for me and go to Rambouillet on Saturday and Sunday.  Was certainly rather more than usually flatteringly and markedly attentive today, but she can flirt well, I see.  As we got nearly back I said,  Oh, I am always sorry to see the hotel so soon.  Said she, you are too good to me. She likes me but I doubt whether it is easy to make any deep impression on her.

Mrs. and Miss Barlow went away at 10 1/4.  Came to my room at 10 35/60. Very fine day.

  

WYAS Finding Numbers SH:7/ML/E/12/0059 and SH:7/ML/E/12/0060


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835