December 25, 1831 (Partial Entry)

 

1831 December

Sunday 25

8 1/2

1 3/4

Christmas day. Very fine morning. F 58° in my room at 8 1/2 and 45° in the balcony at 9 1/2 – Downstairs at 10 – Miss Hobart had had letter from Madame de Hagemann which she gave me to read – The ends very kind, were to me – Had written me a note but Miss H-  begged her to write on a single sheet, so she had destroyed the note and written on the ends –

There was a remark on Miss H’s heroic self-denial in not going to Italy. I took some very slight notice of it. Miss H fancied I thought she had been saying one thing to one of us, another to the other (I thought no such thing) and this made a talk, but led however to her saying more clearly than ever before that she did not wish to go.  Thought I to myself, I know why. And in fact she thought of this, and it was that really annoyed her, and made her regret shewing me the letter.  But I at last talked her out of this for she said she could not always hold out. I bade her give me kiss and all was right.  She then kissed me, all, of course, very  gently, to wish me a good Christmas, and I did the same to her, and all was beautiful.

Miss H- too had letter from her solicitor Mr. Frampton, very satisfactory – thought as I did – she ought to have five percent on the forborne interest and might fairly have four and a half or five on the principal. The original of this must be well enough secured on the estate. The new debt made out of interest should be on mortgage, and if the interest not paid within two months after due, should be at five percent

At church at 11 3/.. – only one place vacant in our own seat so went into the one behind – no hassocks – annoyed – and not in a very fit state to say my prayers then came the Athanasian Creed sat down immediately and Miss H did the same following my example without knowing why or thinking perhaps . . . . .


WYAS Finding Number  SH:7/ML/E/14/0168

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835