Friday, December 23, 1831

 1831 December

Friday 23

7 25/..

1

Fine morning, F 57° in my room at 8 40/.. and 40° at 9 1/4 in the balcony – Wrote the journal of yesterday and dressed (had Cameron) at 8 3/4 – Went downstairs at 9 20/.. – Sat reading Lavallettes Memoirs till Miss Hobart came in about 1/4 hour – Breakfast –

Came upstairs at 11 – wrote copy of letter for Miss H- to write to her  brother, Lord Buckinghamshire. Went out with Miss H- at 12 1/4 – to Wooll’s to order the new reform bill – Then walked up and down the parade and came in at 1 20/.. – Staid downstairs reading the paper till 3, when came up and till 6 40/.. (with the exception of about 3/4 hour that Miss H- came and sat with me), read (except the about 38 pages before breakfast) from page 140 to 412, volume 2, Memoirs of Lavallette, to the end of the work itself and 6 pages of the appendix.

Dressed – Dinner at 7 10/.. in 1 1/4 hour – Sat for the 1st time over a dessert of oranges etc. – A very little music – Coffee at 9 – Then a little German, and from 10 1/2 to 11 1/2 read aloud the 1st 55 pages volume v., Gibbon –

I just wished her good night in her room. Very good friends today.  She told me Mr. Stuart had said Captain Cameron was coming into the neighbourhood on a visit to the Ashburnhams and would come and see her. I did not take any offensive notice, but gently and  without seeming to annoy, joked about all the guards coming.  But, oh oh, thought I, then he is serious and will offer to her and she will accept him, and he is the man she will take, will take without caring for.

She told me tonight that getting this interest paid by her brother, Lord B, she would have eight hundred a year without her pension, which would make nine and this exclusive of a thousand owing by Lady Stuart and five hundred by her younger brother, Augustus.

I spoke this morning while of advertising for a lady’s maid, and she, in writing to her friend Mrs. Cust, asked her if she knew of one.  Mentioned tonight I thought Cameron tittle tattle, and fancied I could do nothing without its going into Yorkshire eventually.  Mentioned my thought of keeping George, which she seemed rather against, saying I should have a better chance of keeping my maid with a prettier man.  Very sensible, said I, and I think you have turned the scale. Said I should perhaps do something very wild on leaving here.  Wanted a maid who would enter into all this and say nothing about it –

Fine day – rather windy – F 58 1/2° now at 12 in my room and 38° in the balcony now at 12 3/4 tonight –


WYAS Finding Number  SH:7/ML/E/14/0168

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835