Saturday, October 6, 1832

1832

October

Saturday 6

7 1/4

11 40/..

Wrote and sent by John before breakfast note to ‘Mr. Christopher Rawson, Hopehall’ to say that Mrs. Walker took the pen pump pew in the old church, at four pounds a year 1st October last year. Mr. C R-’s brought back the key here Thursday 20th ultimo and I therefore concluded Mrs. Walker to be aware that one year’s rent was due – wrote note also to ‘Messers Rawson, bankers,.Halifax’ to ask for order (on Letter paper) on their London bankers for £12.10.0 payable at sight to Miss M. J. Bolland, and wrote also ‘to the Sexton of the old Church Halifax enclosing the 2 keys of the pew and saying that tho’ Mrs. Walker paid £4 per annum, Mr. Haigh might have it at 3 guineas, the price mentioned by the sexton, on condition of his, Mr. Haigh’s, lining the pew himself and doing the repairs he chose –

Had Washington, who gave me Mr. Jones’s of Huddersfield valuation of the stone of Mytholm quarry at 6d a yard – Washington owns it is worth a shilling a yard

Breakfast at 9 – Talked a little to my father – Then with Booth and his 2 men and Murgatroyde and his man and the plasterer, all at the library passage window –

Then a little with my aunt – She thought me looking uncommonly well and in unusually good spirits (and so in fact I felt) on the occasion of my, as I told her last night, giving up Miss Walker,  Laughed, I felt as pleased that it was over as I had done when it began.  Thought, whatever is, is right, etc. etc.

Out at 11 1/2.  Sauntered down my walk – Dick walling up staking as yesterday and Charles and James Howarth thatching the hut with another cover of rushes – They were at it yesterday morning, but the rain soon drove them home –

Went by Lower brea road to Lightcliffe – Mrs. Priestley not at home – then thro’ the village to Cliff Hill and sat an hour with Miss Walker, saying I hoped she would wonder how I got home, and I had called to tell her how I took shelter under 1 of her gate posts, etc.  

Mrs. Priestley came in – Returned home with her and sat 3/4 hour till 2 1/2.  She walked with me as far as or beyond blacksmith’s shop, and I returned with her, and we repeated this, and she hoped I would breakfast there on Monday, as she was never busy till 10 – Very good friends.  She said inclination would have led her to turn with me again had she been able.  Either my telling her this day week of her being called fascinating had had a good effect on her, or she made up to me on Miss W’s account.  Somehow, speaking of her, Mrs P said we were very thick; I had been there every day.  It was very good thing for her, Miss W.  I ought to influence her to patronize this or that.  Said I did not know that I had any influence, but if I had, [should] be careful not to push it too far.  Yes, we were very good friends.  I had not been every day; not Tuesday or Wednesday.  But we could not hold on quite at our present.  I should not go there today –

Returned by the old road – Long while with Pickles and his son and brother at the new cutting – Persuaded me it would cost almost very near as much as if the brook had been turned under the wood as he 1st proposed – There would be 20 roods of this and he had calculated 25 roods of the other – then talked about the road to be cut thro’ Trough of Bolland wood – He is to trace it out for me to see on Monday – Had him up at the house and settled with him – Paid him in full for the channelling and all that he and his men have done at the walk up to today –

Wrote and sent by John to Miss M. T. Bolland, ‘Swinton, near Manchester’ Messers Rawson, order on Carr Glyn and Co. for £12.10.0 at sight – and wrote and sent the following to ‘Mademoiselle Pierre, 89 Marine parade, Brighton’ – ‘Shibden hall.

‘Saturday 6 October 1832. 

Mademoiselle – I have received your letter of the 3d,  and should have written by this post to the honorable Mrs. Herbert, but have unfortunately mislaid the letter containing her address which I had from Mrs. Lawton –

I shall, of course, wait your answer to my inquiries before engaging your sister; and should be glad to know if she is likely to be in London soon; as I might have some friend there who would be so good as see her –

I am etc. etc. A Lister’

Dinner at 7 25/.. – Afterwards wrote all but the last 21 lines of today – Some time in the library passage – With my father and aunt before 9 – Skimmed over the paper – Same upstairs at 10 1/2 – Wrote so far of this page till just 11 – Very fine day – F 57 1/2° at 10 50/.. p.m. –

 

WYAS Finding Number SH:7/ML/E/15/0128

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835