1833

November

Thursday 7

8 1/2

12

Rainy morning (much rain in the night), F 51° at 9 1/4 a.m. –

Breakfast at 9 3/4 – Monsieur Christiani from 10 10/.. to 11 1/4 – 17th Lesson that I have taken (having missed 2, which however are paid and to be paid for) –

Read the Hamburg Reporter of Monday 4th instante mense –

M. Christiani brought me Hollis’s bill, 11.3.0 instead of 8 dollars as agreed, for my 2 days jaunt to Rȳgaard etc. Monsieur C- seemed prepared for my being annoyed, and hoped I should not blame him – No! Not at all said I, and gave the bill to the waiter to pay, declaring I should neither see the man nor have anything more to do with him – This prevented my asking Monsieur C- anything about restaurateurs – I shall probably not trouble him much in future –

Went out in the carriage at  12 20/.. – Called on Madame Hage – Not at home – Then to the  Bluchers for about 1/4 hour.  Neither of them would drive out – Some youngish lady (Dame d’honneur) came in, and, as not presented, came away –

Then to Lady Harriet – Sat some time, then she drove out with me – Again at Madame Hage’s door, and Lady Harriet left her card –

Then home to change my hat, and drove to the turnpike on the coast road – Walked about 20 minutes then, rain added to the highish wind, got into the carriage again – Set Lady Harriet down at her own door and home at 4 –

She is more and more satisfied with not going to court.  I told her it was said at the Hockchilds the Queen would have no difference made on her birthday, and desired Lady Harriet to be invited.  Yet she would not go and was seen driving about the streets.  She said no, she did not believe the Queen had said anything about it.  She was invited and might be all the winter because her name was on the list.  I said I could only say I regretted the thing and could not help saying so to others.  She said they were not the only people who were discontented.  The king would soon be unpopular if he did not mind.  Answered quietly I felt to shrink from the thing and was only afraid lest the discontented should be glad enough to get hold of Mr. de H- and they should find themselves head of a party. Oh no, that could not be. Mr. de H- was a very loyal subject.  Well, said I, take care.  

It then came out she was sorry I had gone to court (tho she owned I saw society much better for it)  But you never told me, said I, you would not go, but that you would think of it.  No, because they expected the constitution to be given at the birthday, and then several things would have been done and then she should have gone to court. 

Oh oh, thought I, but took no notice.  You wishing to keep me from court was quite selfish, on a par with the let-slip this morning.  She should not be sorry that they (Miss Gall, the court) should get the money for the apartment. Oh, thought I again, I see why Mr. de H- won’t advise. All this goes far to make me determine I will take it,  but I said nothing beyond that I should first see how I could arrange myself –

In our talking of living in Paris, calculating expenses, she thought three or four thousand a year.  I said I could live there well enough for two thousand.  Perhaps she will set me down at this income but when I talked of entertaining there, she said Mrs. Yule (Jule the Danish minister) never did.  It was not necessary. I used not to go much out.  No, said I, I could not with my aunt. Well, but as I had not begun, it might be difficult now.  The French did not like foreigners dans lintimite.  I said I should, if I wanted society, of course seek after it more, and might perhaps succeed.  

She had said about going to court here, why should I, as I had not been in England.  I see she does not much wish my getting on in society?  It would not do to get wrong with the de H-s, but I will manage as well as I can without mixing myself up with their opposition to the court and with their nonsense.  I see their advice to me is not unselfish and the little jealousy about the Bluchers I must manage as well as I can.  

Lady Harriet said Princess Wilhelmina supposed they were poor now, but they were going to give a great dinner to prove the contrary.  What littleness.  She said [not] too long ago, she wished to have presented me to Mrs. Hockchild.  Besides, Mrs. Hage did not like the Bluchers.  Oh what tittle tattle.  Keep out of it.  Count Blucher said Lady Harriet asked to take her own rank at court as Countess.  Well, a Count only ranked as colonel; Mr. de H- is lieutenant colonel.  She could only gain one step.  What nonsense!

Wrote the above of today till 5 10/.. and then dinner in 1 10/.. –

Then calculating the value Danish money – Exchange as the last time, 9 dollars 1 mark, and 10 skillings makes one shilling English = 44 1/2 Danish skillings – Then at accounts till 7 3/4 –

Off to the de Hagemanns’ at 8 25/.. – Compte Ulsalg? (once Spanish minister here) and Monsieur de Schlegel there, the latter speaking bad French, but amusing – Both went away about 9 1/2 – M. de H- had inquired at the 2 best restaurations.  One did not send dinners out at all, and the other had too many already to engage for more – But Lady Harriet thought they could get one, an old cook of theirs – Married to a shoemaker but would come during the day – Used to foreigners, and speaks French –

Home at 10 1/2 – Rainy morning till about 11 – then fair till between 3 and 4—afterwards showers and wild, windy evening – F 51 1/2° at 11 1/2 p.m. –

 

WYAS Finding Number SH:7/ML/E/16/0133

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835