Monday, November 4, 1833

1833

November

Monday 4

8 5/..

3 35/..

Fine, frosty, sunny morning. F 52° at 8 1/4 a.m. –

Breakfast at 10 1/2 – Before and after till 12 1/2 wrote a 2nd 1/2 sheet full to Lady Stuart and 3 pages of 1/2 sheet to Miss Tate, and enclosed it under cover to Lady Stuart –

Called at Mr. Browne’s to leave my letters – Nobody there but the porter, so brought them back –

At the Bluchers’ at 12 50/...  A gentleman and lady there – Sat waiting some time – She did not introduce, and I, as the last time, never asked who the people were –

We called on all the Maids of Honeur except Madame Bucholz and Mademoiselle Pechlin – The former ill so did not call, the latter forgotten.  Left cards for all but Mademoiselle Oxholm who admitted us, and we sat near 1/2 hour with her – Found Mrs. Hage with her and they were reading Lord Byron’s poetry in 1 large volume, Brussells edition – Miss Oxholm in a shabby black gown and her room not good, a few steps from the ground in Princess Charlottes court.

Drove the Blucher to a shop or 2 and then home at 3 to change my hat and shoes, and then by the Long Line to the high road along the sea – Walked from 3 20/.. to 4 3/4, to some distance beyond the 2nd turnpike on the road and back –  Walked so quickly, must have gone about 5 English miles – Met the Princess Charlotte on horseback with Compte de Blucher etc. etc. –

Home at 5 – Dinner – Dressed – Ready 1/2 hour before Countess de Blucher and Miss Ferrall called for me in 1 of princess Christian’s carriages –

At 8 50/.. at the palace (Prince Christian’s) – Time enough before the princess went and spoke to all those in her way –

From 9 25/.. to 10 1/2, an Italian Hercules did his feats of strength.  Imitated all the attitudes of Hercules very gracefully – He made move, very curiously, the . . . . muscle of each arm, 1st one, then the other – Then dancing – Refreshments handed round –

Lord Hillsborough, Marquess of Downshire’s son, arrived today, in a month’s passage from Norway, and Mr. Browne went this evening to Compte de Blucher to ask for Lord H- to go to Prince Christian tonight – Compte de B- went immediately and asked the prince – Yes!  Of course, and my lord was presented by Mr. Browne, and coloured and looked shy on his presentation, and on princess Christian’s talking to him – People said surely he was an Englishman by the gaucherie of his manner – True! He seemed embarrassed and awkward –

Handsome rooms, not large, and in spite of everybody being in black but Mrs. Stuart Courtenay, the ball looked well, and I was amused and did not get home till 1 25/..

Countess de B- introduced me to Prince Christian and the princesses Charlotte and Christian talked to me a minute or 2 or more each – Everybody I knew very civil – Particularly the Dutch and Swedish ambassadresses – The latter asked me to her small party tomorrow –

The Duchess de Montebello there – Not taller than poor Sibbella MacLean, and not one of my beauties – Her countenance not intelligent enough – Her eyes occasionally too staring – True! she speaks French with a very English accent –

Mrs. Pauli not there, but saw and spoke to her husband –

Mademoiselle Kolbeinsen (Dame d’honneur to princess . . . . came and sat by me for a long while and made quite an acquaintance with her, or at least she civilly hoped we should see a good deal of each other –

Mademoiselle During will write and tell me about Miss Gall’s apartment if Countess something does not take it –

Countess B presented me to prince Christian but to no one else, and evidently did not wish me to cling to her, so left her and did very well.  Even at the last, Mr. Browne shewed me to my carriage.  How is it she took me to the Dutch and Swedish ministers at first, and has done nothing since.  She could not be off the maids of honour, for she had advised my calling, and I almost made her go with me but she did not wish them to be at home, and said twice we need not call any more during the winter –Mr. Browne cautioned me against the German party.  They might take me up and set me down. I often think of this.  I shall take no notice anyway.

Mr. Browne told me he pitied Mrs. Stuart Courtenay very much – She was very unfairly treated – but he had spoken to princess Christian about her and she had promised to take her up –

Till 2 3/4 writing all the above of today – Very fine day – F 55° now at 2 3/4 tonight --


WYAS Finding Numbers SH:7/ML/E/16/0131 and SH:7/ML/E/16/0132

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835