Saturday, November 9, 1833 (Partial Entry)

 

1833

November

Saturday 9

1833

7 50/..

12 1/2

Very fine morning, F 48 1/2 at 8 a.m. on the marble slab in my bedroom and 51° at 9 a.m. on my writing desk in my bedroom and the same in my salon –

Breakfast at 10 having written out in 3/4 hour my German translation for this morning – Monsieur Christiani, Lesson 18, from 10 1/2 to 11 40/.. – Then wrote German translation for Tuesday and had a little nap till 12 1/2 –

From then to 3 3/4 wrote 3 pages and ends and under the seal all but the 1st 1 1/2 page very small and close –

Nothing to regret but the having no better account of my aunt herself – But to keep up her spirits – How much we can recover from! How Lady Stuart much older than my aunt recovered from that terrible erysipelas in her legs! Shall go on hoping for my aunts being better by and by – if not, or if she wishes me to return, though impossible now by  sea, can manage it some way – The post is seldom interrupted –

Then much afterwards asking her to write to Fisher for Mrs. Norcliffe’s address in Bath, and to ask Major Norcliffe for Waller’s address in St. Petersburg, add ‘I think of going there, if you are are well enough to all of my going in comfort – If not I shall give up the thought for the present, and return home whenever you wish it – Only keep up your spirits’ Shall take care of myself etc. etc.

Nobody in England knows what bad roads mean – Even the pavement of the great square here worse than any I ever saw in England –

Lord and Lady Howard de Walden arrived by Eru? government steamer from Stockholm on Saturday – Bad passage – Aground near here, the fault of the pilot – Wish them well thro’ the Kattegat –

What does Cordingley say to John Oates’s having married a young woman of 23? –

Glad the business settled and money paid for Mr. Walsh’s land – Shall have the opinion about the upper brea water by and by – Mr. Parker right to serve the writs upon the Misses Walker of Walterclough –

Stuff not to be lead into the hole after it is sown with acorns which is to be done this season – Acorns to be sown everywhere (except in my walk) where they have missed coming up – Plenty to be sown in the Conery wood only take care to get good ones, of the good common sort of oak – these and holly berries, as many as  John can find, to be sown in every little bit of ground fenced off – End of hall wood, behind the barn there, take up a sod or two and they will burst thro’ the grass to be sown too where the Spanish chestnuts are that I may have something growing there – Pit hill in the Conery wood to be sown with acorns and holly berries –

Find the climate here much the same as in England – Keep my room cool (cold) and walk 7 English miles Roskilde road about 3 days a week.  

Go out almost every evening – Mention having been presented at court, and going to the Queen’s ball in white satin, and prince Christian’s – Invited everywhere –

Think of going to a private apartment – Not quite certain, so to direct her next letter here to the hotel – Shall be in the same house with Compte and Countess Molke (he gentleman de la chamber she a maid of honneur) who will be all kindness, and Lady Harriet will arrange all for me –

Not to mention my society concerns except to her fireside circle – 

Find already I can have another traveling companion – Told Mariana I felt inclined to try traveling alone – ‘Already I begin to waver – but we shall see how you are and then determine – The lady I allude to (Madame Hage) ‘is a Danish widow, in comfortable circumstances, good-looking, sensible, about 40, dejected at her last loss, that of an only child, a charming girl, as everybody says, of 18, and longing to travel to divert her mind from too much dwelling on affliction – She is a great favorite with princess Julia, and seems generally known and liked – She speaks Danish, English French and German, as almost everybody (of the higher orders) does here’ – French however the foreign language most spoken in society’ 

Dressed at 4 20/.. for Eugénie to go to the play – Dinner at 5 --

 

WYAS Finding Number SH:7/ML/E/16/0134

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835