Sunday, November 3, 1833

1833

November

Sunday 3

8 25/..

1

Wild, very windy, rainy morning. F 52 1/2° at 8 1/2 a.m. – At German – Breakfast at 10 25/..

German till 12 – from 12 1/4 to 12 50/.. Read the morning service –

Before 12, Mr. Browne’s servant brought card of invitation for Mr. and Mrs. Browne, myself,  and Mrs. Stuart Courtenay to Prince Christian’s for tomorrow evening –

Reading Paul and Virginie (French) till 1 1/4 –

At 1 1/2, drove to M. de Hagemann’sFound Countess Radzinsky there, the Prussian minister’s wife – Lady Harriet introduced me – Mrs. Browne had done it the day I was presented – Lady Harriet went with me (and picked up M de H- by the way) and he went too to the Russian baths to see Miss Gall’s apartment – Very nice one – Should like it, if they do not ask too much for it – Miss G- pays 550 dollars a year for it – Then what will she ask me for 5 months, taking into consideration the furniture?  Lady Harriet thinks 300 dollars will be enough –

Lady Harriet then called with me and we left our cards for Madame de Bille Brahe – Then set down Lady Harriet at home and called on Baroness Livingtuin and her daughter for about 10 minutes – Then sat 1/4 hour with Mrs. Hage and then near 1/2 hour with Madame Pauli  – Made a grand mistake in supposing the music of Robert le Diable by Rossini! – by Meyerberg – Fine but laboured – Got over my blunder as well as perhaps such a blunder could be got over – What in the world do I know of operas? – I suppose I shall learn enough of these matters in time –

Mrs. Pauli a nice, well informed, agreeable person How strange if I should after all travel with Mrs. Hage! And it may be – I should like to know her income first.  The Bluchers don’t know it but think her comfortably off

Dinner at 5 in an hour – till 7 20/.. wrote 1 2/3 page note to Lady Stuart of my letter dated yesterday but written on Friday –

Dressed – off to M. de Hagemann’s at 8 20/.. – Found only the Spanish minister, M. Arana, there – Soon came Misses Glinker and Dashcoff, Bielca (very tall) and another, the Count . . . . . with a gold star or cross – Minister of the Home Department? Then Misses Oxholm, Vittiky etc.

to the number of 11 –

Tea at 9 1/4, then came Countess Blucher and Miss Ferrall.  They and I and the 2 Russians and Misses Vittiky and Oxholm staid – Supper at 10 50/.. – Came away at 11 1/4 – Set down Countess B- and Miss F-. and home at 11 1/2 –

Somehow the evening was heavy.  Dashcoff a peswit, and he and Countess B, she very quiet, made all the play.  There were too many men for me.  Nothing but nonsense talked.  I was tired tho’ I laughed and seemed very happy.  I think I could amuse parties as well as that . To me, it was stupid –

Rainy windy day with a gleam or 2 in the morning before 1 1/2 – F 56° now at 12 1/2 tonight – Madame and the demoiselles Huygens (Dutch minister) left cards for me this evening or perhaps in the morning while I was out --

 

WYAS Finding Number SH:7/ML/E/16/0131

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835