Tuesday, November 5, 1833

1833

November

Tuesday 5

10

2 20/..

Very fine sunny morning, Fahrenheit 51° at 10 1/4 a.m..

Mr. Christiani came a few  minutes after I got up – Obliged to send him away – this is the 2nd time I have missed

Breakfast at 11 1/2 and had read the Hamburg Reporter of 1st instante mense at 12 1/2 –

Wrote another 1/2 sheet (a 3rd) to Lady Stuart and out at 2 1/4 –

Met Mr. Browne at his door and gave him my letter to ‘the Honorable Lady Stuart, Whitehall’ containing my note or letter to ‘Miss Tate’ –

Had told Lady S- in my 2 half sheets dated Saturday merely chit chat – 

Account of the Queen’s birth night ball – She very gracious, princess Caroline Amalia very handsome, and princess Wilhelmina waltzed most perseveringly enough to turn a dozen such heads as mine –Knew a great many people and very much amused – Everything very handsome – The rooms well enough filled by about a hundred ladies and 1/2 as many more gentlemen –

A pity the Brownes so long and far out of town, but now I knew them and find them so very kind and attentive, could not be so ungrateful as to say another word but of thanks – Should have no more difficulties about sending my letters –

Should not plan anything about my future route, till spring –

Begged to hear from Lady S- while I could – Would thank Lady S. de R- [Stuart de Rothesay] for her nice long letter by and by –

Merely said of Mrs. Stuart Courtenay, that Mr. Browne [said] £10 or £5 would pay all she owed, but quoting from his note to me, ‘asking for credit and reported running into debt by the person soliciting it, are very close on one another, especially at Copenhagen’ –

The 3rd 1/2 sheet written and dated today to say I thought till seeing Mr. Browne yesterday that Saturday had been the day, so opened my packet to give yesterday’s news –

Much amused at prince Christian’s yesterday – Mentioned the Italian Hercules – Left the young ladies dancing after one – Mentioned Lord Hillsborough’s arrival yesterday morning – Said to have been a month on his way from Norway – but shewed no sign of fatigue and looked very well – Said to be going to spend the winter here –

Lord Howard de Walden still daily expected – It seemed on seeing Mr. Browne that my Lord was not going to stay here long, and that Lord and Lady Howard de Welden arrived about 12 this morning, she near her confinement – Had had a very rough passage –

My note or letter to Miss Tate was merely to say I had great pleasure in sending her a barrel of Norwegian anchovies that I only hoped she would like, and I was sure Lady Stuart would desire her butler to forward – Thanked Miss T- Tate for her so kind inquiries after me and my plans – Should not plan my future route till nearer the time of my departure – Often thought of Miss T- and her good advice – Had a nice companion here and a pleasant journey thro’ France and Germany – Much more pleased with everything here than I expected – Having my friend Lady Harriet de Hagemann always to go to made me feel quite at home – Had settled myself here for the winter amid all the agréments of good society – The climate like the north of our own island – (meaning England) and the country with its fine beech woods and green pastures reminded me of England – Began and concluded with my dear Miss Tate –

Drove to Lady Harriet’s – She had a note to write – so drove to the princess Juliana’s and called on her dame d’honneur la baronessa (Miss) Pecklin – the one forgotten yesterday.  Not at home – left my card –

Then back to Lady Harriet – She went with me to the Prussian minister’s wife, Countess Radzinski --  Not at home – Left cards – Then drove along the Rosekild Roskilde road – Got out a little beyond the 1/2 mile stone and walked to the barrier and almost as far back again – Set Lady Harriet down at her own house and back home at 5 25/.. –

The princesses Charlotte and Juliana to be at the Hockschild’s tonight, so Lady Harriet cannot go – Said she had refused – I fancy she was not asked (yes! Mrs. Hockschilde told me tonight, she was) – Told her Countess B- had never presented me to anyone since the Dutch and Swedish ambassadors.  I had observed it but said nothing.  Lady Harriet said she had said nothing. The fact is Countess B told me she had found  fault with it!  But she cannot guess I know all this.  By the way, I ought to think of this to excuse the Countess, but somehow I don’t quite trust her.  Lady H- said Blucher is a proud man and jealous of them, the de H-s.  Said I should never have guessed the latter –

Dinner at 5 50/.. – Wrote all the above of today till 7 50/.. – Dressed –

Off to Madame Hockschild’s at 9 20/.. – Comtesse de Blucher and Mademoiselle Ferrall arrived after me but very few, if any, others – Neither I nor they were announced – The 2 princesses Charlotte and Juliana were there, and prince Christian – Dancing soon commenced – Before this, princess Christian had talked to me for some time – I told her how well she rode – Everybody there and very civil, except Countess Radzinski, who merely bowed and made no conversation – The Montebellos there – Near her some time –

Miss Oxholm introduced me to an oldish Mrs. Eckhart and to Count Plassen.  Lord Hillsborough – among others dancing with Miss Ferrall –

Tea handed to me on my going in – afterwards ice and cakes, savoy biscuits, etc., then at 12 salad and bread and cakes and claret in wine glasses, as one should have it at dinner –

Set down the Bluchers, and home at 1 –

Very fine morning and day – Windyish, rainy evening.  F 53° now at 1 3/4 tonight --

 

WYAS Finding Number SH:7/ML/E/16/0132

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835