Wednesday, October 30,1833

1833

October

Wednesday 30

7 35/..

4 35/..

Queen’s birthday ball

My cousin coming gently when I got up.  Had all to prepare.  

Very fine morning, Fahrenheit 56° at 7 3/4 a.m. Breakfast at 9 1/4 in 22 minutes – Out at 9 3/4 – Walked as usual to the 1st barrier on the Roskilde road in 1 10/..hour and back in about the same at 12 10/.. Washing and putting on linen against my cousin – Dressed –

Lady Harriet came at 1 – Off with her in 10 minutes to call on Mrs. Browne – At home and he too – He took me aside and gave me the letter he had written me concerning Mrs. Stuart Courtenay – Quite in debt – Believes £10 or £5 would pay all she owes here – Lives quietly and inoffensively – Her greatest fault poverty – May shew the letter to anyone I please – A foolish rigmarole nevertheless – Madame Hage came in – Somehow I don't think Mrs. Browne much likes Lady Harriet.  I fancy she likes me better –

Just went to Lady Harriet’s for her work, then to Raffael’s for silk stockings and home at 2 20/.. – Gave Lady Harriet brioche and wine and some of the pears she brought me this morning for luncheon, and she sat reading the peerage while I dressed – Put on clean stays and linen. 

The French hairdresser came at 3 1/2 and in about 1/2 hour dressed my hair – Put in my 2 birds of paradise – then sat talking to Lady Harriet.  Read her my letter from Lady S. de R- [Stuart de Rothesay] and, as well as I could make it out, my letter from old Lady Stuart, both dated Highcliffe, and which both came enclosed to Lady Harriet, and she received the packet and gave me my share at Mr. Browne’s this morning –

Very kind letter from both the Ladies Stuart – they both say how pleased Lady Harriet will be to have me here the winter – I read this particularly aloud and she said it was very true – I really begin to think it is – She seemed very cozy this morning and we talked very comfortably – I said I was sorry she did not go to court, but as it was done, she should carry it off quietly and never seem vexed about it.  She took all I said very well and we are capital friends.

Miss Tate (Lady S. de R- says) often inquires after me and my plans – All the Stuarts were going there – Interesting little account of Lord S. de R-’s tour to Iceland – 

I see the Stuarts do not forget me.  It seems my spending the winter here is right.  Lady Harriet will praise me, and I hope it will all answer. 

I have thought much of Miss Walker lately.  In doubt whether to write again to Mrs. Sutherland or not.  What could I do with the poor girl.  Have thought of π [Mariana] to tears this morning too as walking, but always end with she would not make me happy now; has lost my confidence. Had better take Willoughby Crewe

Lady Harriet left me at 4 40/.. Dinner at 5 in 3/4 hour – Then wrote the above of today till 7 1/4 – Dressed –

Mr. and Mrs. Browne called for me in coupé at 7 1/2 – Crowded, of course – 1 of my oiseaux de Paradis came down in the carriage – Mrs. B- arranged it on arriving at the (Queen’s) palace – Countess Blucher and Miss Ferrall had been there some time.  Ditto Mrs. Stuart Courtenay, who was sitting on a sofa alone, not a soul speaking to her, or did speak to her the whole evening, so at last she had a headache and went away about 11, Mr. Browne getting her a carriage, her own being ordered at one – Mrs. Browne asked Countess B- if she might introduce Mrs. S. C. to her – Declined – Baron Nicolay, the Russian ambassador, likewise declined!  Of course it was useless to ask any more – She was the talk of the people –

About 8, the cercle – might be about 50 ladies in front and as many behind, and perhaps 1/2 as many more – The queen, and princess Christian Caroline Amalia, then Caroline, princess royale, and then her younger sister Wilhelmina followed round the circle –

Mrs. Browne stood between Mrs. S. C- and myself to present us to the King – As the queen began with the lady 1/2 the circle the king began with the gentlemen 1/2 and each went the whole round, then to the ballroom all following the royal family – Dancing till 12 – Then 30 ladies and 30 gentlemen drew lots for each other, and all the rest of us went to the grand marshall’s table (in the Kings Palace), up and down dirty narrow stairs and along long low passages), at which his deputy, Mr. Crow presided – The ex-Dresden minister’s wife on his right and I on his left –

A perpetually handed round supper, but nothing looking particularly good to eat – But took some quince and some blancmange –  A glass of goodish Rudesheimer, and a glass of tolerable Champagne to drink the queen’s and princess Charlotte’s birthdays – The president gave the health – Drank in silence – A 3rd birthday today, but not mentioned – We then went back (only 5 ladies besides Mrs. Browne and myself, all the rest had gone home) to the salon, saw the royal party (except King and queen) again, and then got to our carriage as soon as we could – Set down Mr. and Mrs. Browne and home at 3 35/.. –

Everybody very civil to me – Very well amused – But now that I have seen the thing once, will not trouble the marshall’s table again – Not fond of 2nd tables even in the houses of Kings – The party said to be unusually small – No diamonds but those worn by the royal family – Princess Christian the finest woman in the room and Miss Ferrall the prettiest, best dressed girl – No magnificence of dress – but everything assez bien – The Palace moderately handsome –.

All the princesses spoke to me conversationally, particularly Princess Christian and princess Wilhelmina – She asked me if I had been much in the grande monde.  I answered no, not very much.  Princess Christian admired my headdress.  I said I had had grand peur about it; it had come down and Mrs. Browne had arranged it.  One of the queen’s maids of honeur observed my magnificent blonde and said was it not from Paris.  Yes, but I had bought it here; was in black and had nothing white with me.  Could get everything good but stockings.  I shall know better what to say by and by.

How they know everything here! – Mr. Crow told me at supper I had been traveling for 5 or 6 years – Yes! said I, 6 or 7 years – petits voyages – the exDresden minister’s wife asked if I knew Lady Rancliffe (who was at Dresden) No! Only by character – I asked if Lord Rancliffe was at Dresden – No! said the lady. – They are divorced – No! Not quite that, I said – But there were little dissentions – Petites dissentions – They were separated –

I generally, on coming away, remember some gaucherie, but I don't care.  I shall learn in timeVery fine day – F 60° now at 3 55/.. tonight –

 

WYAS Finding Number SH:7/ML/E/16/0129

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835