Monday, January 19, 1835

 

1835

January

Monday 19

9 10/..

11 3/4

No kiss.

Ready in an hour – Fine morning.  A good deal of snow fell during the night, that we are, as it were, in  Lapland again – F 33 3/4° in my study now at 10 10/.. a.m., at which hour, breakfast in an hour –

Then looking at the pedigree and setting Ann to copy the arms till 11 5/.. –

Then had Miss Jenkinson’s James (James Crompton) about the Stump Cross Inn for about an hour till 12 1/4

Told him I should not send answer to Mr. Parker till Thursday night – But that his (James Crompton’s) ticket was not among the number I was considering about – His bid was not high enough –

He put £10 to it making £111 per annum – Said if he made is bid £120 per annum I would take it into consideration, but could not say more –

He hoped I would not think merely of the highest bidder – No! said I, if I take the highest I shall not take £120 – There is something considerable bid more than that –

Asked what side of politics he took – Blue, he and all his family, and if he had had 100 votes, would have given them all to Wortley – Said I did not wish to influence anyone unfairly, but was anxious to have all my people conscientiously of my own way of thinking in politics –

Could only say, he had better think the thing over and give his answer to Mr. Parker in time –

Then at 12 1/4 had Hinscliffe – He came to say he could make nothing of the Keighleys – they said they were secured by their papers for looses and everything – Well! said Hinscliffe, then you must come upon those you purchased the coal of to make all good – You must come upon them for damages – Keighleys said they would sell me the coal – Hinscliffe told them he thought I had enough of my own – But if they heard from me that I was willing to treat for it, he would meet them tomorrow – If they heard nothing from me by tomorrow they were to conclude, I did not want to purchase – And he would see them on Saturday –

He is for my stopping the loose – They say, if I do, I shall stop myself (Walker Pit) too – Hinscliffe thinks not – Walker Pit will be on the upper level – The water will not reach it, and I shall be able to get the 1 1/2 to 2 acres of coal if I do stop the Spiggs Loose – Impossible to drive the level so dead but that there will be 10 yards gained between Ship-in Pit and Walker Pit – But if the worst comes, I can carry down my vent from the drift the Manns are now driving in pipes to the bottom of Walker Pit – Will have to carry down about 60 yards –

Asked if I could do it for 5/. per yard – Yes! and less – Perhaps for 3/. per yard and the boards (inch boards would do) would be worth something afterwards – Besides, said he, you may keep the water up for 6 months, and then lower it a little afterwards if you like – and if Rawsons have made a trespass, it is sure to find them – This body of water, he said, lying up against my coal, would be a protection to it – and if Rawsons had made a trespass, or had even got the coal in the waste, and thus taken away the barrier, the water would reach them and they would have it all to pump – They would find it out by and by – It would incommode them very much – I then said, they would have incommoded me if they could, and I did not see why I might not incommode them –

Now that he (Hinscliffe) had put this idea into my head of protecting my own coal by the barrier of water, I was glad the Keighleys would not agree – Begged him not to say anything more to tempt them to agree – Well, he thought I had given them every fair opportunity and he would therefore tell them on Saturday that whatever happened they had not me or him (Hinscliffe) to blame – They asked for the paper (vide p. 269) I gave him, and he left it with them –

He said Samuel Holdsworth would do nothing (that is, would agree to pay nothing to me) – While speaking of Mr. Rawson’s  having all this Shibden water against him, said I heard he was going to get Mr. Samuel Hall’s coal immediately – And asked if this water would not be against him – Yes! Very much –

Said I knew nothing but from common report – But I sometimes went to the top of the hill, for the farm where Joseph Hall lived was mine – What was that farm mine?  Hinscliffe did not know that –

He then asked if Mrs. Machin had not some land there – And somehow (not at all bunglingly), contrived to ask me if I was about buying the coal – Thought I – This is good – Surely this is well done for Rawson – Said (apparently very off hand), I think I have coal enough – But one of Mrs. Machin’s daughters came to me about it, to ask if I would buy it, and I told her – Very well! I would think about it – I would bid for the farm itself if it was for sale – but I would let them know – I had therefore sent Washington, to bid what I thought the coal worth, but they thought it so much too little, I had not troubled my head about it since – I wonder what Holt had done about itWhat Hinscliffe said about throwing all the Shibden water onto  Rawsons, seemed against them –

This inquiry about Mrs. Machin’s coal makes me think of the several other very little things which have led me to fancy he was fishing for information for Rawsons

Joseph Mann came in to say they should want rails – Theirs would be done tonight – Hinscliffe said he would lend us a few, and have 2 tons of new ones ready – Said Farrer has about as many ready cast but asks £9 per ton – Stocks pays him this price – Rather heavier rails than some, and will not reach not quite, so told Hinscliffe that even if I did stop myself, I had only to sink another pit nearer this way about 1/2 way between Walker Pit  and the Allen car and leave a sufficient barrier of coal, and then I could loose myself without trouble –but told him I thought £16 ready money would tempt Farrer;  if not, to give him a few shillings more –

Hinscliffe staid till 1 50/.. though he was to dine at 2 at Ann’s Shibden Mill rent day.

Then a little while with Ann – poorlyish – And siding letters back into letter drawer when Mr. Sutcliffe and his daughter and little granddaughter came about Northgate house –

Had kept him waiting 10 minutes to speak to William Oates of Crossfield, Albion Street, who wants the privilege to lay soil and stones on my Northgate land adjoining for 2 months while he builds 6 cottages to back up  against my land – Would pay any reasonable damages and give me the soil for letting him lay it on my ground – Will want about 60 or 70 square yards to lay his stuff on – Wanted an answer tomorrow – Said I would give it as soon as I could, but could not so soon as tomorrow – Said he should have let me know sooner – If the land to let would take it – talked of £4 per DW. – I said that was no price –

But would I sell any – No! He could get me 6/. a yard for it though his was bought of Mr. Kershaw at 5/. per yard for Hird and Company’s (Low moor Company) Coal Staith – Very civil to Mr. Sutcliffe and his daughter – He said he did not want the land – I said that would suit me very well – Said the house and buildings were valued at £85 per annum but I had mentioned to Mr. Parker that I would take £80 – and set the land at £6 per DW – If I let the place on lease for  some years would not take less than £120 per annum – But not anxious about letting – My plans about the house uncertain – Then said if a good Inn was wanted I would rather make the house into one than dispose of it in any other way – Mr. Sutcliffe to talk with and make his proposals to Mr. Parker –

Told Mr. Sutcliffe I was glad he had given Mr. Wortley a plumper – Mr. Sutcliffe left me at 4 20/.. after having had wine and biscuits and gingerbread –

Then a little while with Ann, then finished arranging letter drawer –

Dinner at 6 10/60 – Coffee – 1/4 hour with my father and Marian and we came upstairs at 7 25/.. – Then till 8 3/4 wrote the all but the first 2 1/2 lines of today –

Cordingley who had been ill this fortnight went to her sister’s this afternoon for change of air – Matthew drove her in my father’s phaeton –

1/2 hour with my aunt till 9 50/..

Fine winter’s day till about between 12 and 1.  Afterwards, small snow flying about a few light snow showers, and wildish wintry cold day – F 35° now at 9 50/.. p.m. –


WYAS Finding Numbers SH:7/ML/E/17/0148 and SH:7/ML/E/17/0149

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835