Wednesday, January 21, 1835

1835

January

Wednesday 21

8 20/..

11 1/2

No kiss.  

Finish, hazyish winter’s morning – Very hard frost.  F 31° in my study at 9 5/.. a.m.  The water in my footpail frozen over 1st time and the ice so strong could not break it quite off round the edges, even with all the force I could use with my tooth brush handle – By much the coldest morning we have had this winter –

Breakfast at 9 20/..  

Off to Halifax with Ann at 11 – Down the new bank – To Nicholson’s –

Then to Whitley’s, left  Ann there while I went to Mr. Parker’s office – Out – Left the rough draft of Ann’s lease to Brooke of Grieves’s farm – Mr. P- generally at home (in the office) from 9 to 12, then gone out

Some time longer at Whitley’s – Bought Bloxham on the Monumental Antiquities of Great Britain duodecimo, published at 12/. ,got it for 11/. and Ann bought 1 or 2 little things –

In returning met Mr. William Priestley on the bridge – He said Mr. Sunderland was so ill, gout in the stomach. Dr. Kenny had no hope whatever of his recovery – Ann and I turned back and went to inquire at the surgery – Drs. Kenny and Moulson – apothecaries Jubb and Lister in attendance.  Saw Mr. Sunderland at 10 a.m. – Great danger –

Home at 1 1/2 – I some time with my father and Marian – Then read the first 12 pages of Bloxham – Then a little while with my aunt – All of us much shocked and grieved for poor Mr. Sunderland –

Then the whole of the afternoon in and out – Thee 2 gin wheels arrived from LowMoor about 3 – Great piece of work to get them through the approach gates by raising the gin wheels up on the waggon so as to be above the stone posts of the gates – Then much work in getting the gin wheels into the new Coach house – the 2 cart drivers (a man and a boy) and 2 Howarths and John, and Batty of Dove house who happened to be passing and Joseph Moore who was coming to me for the poor rate I should have paid him the other day all helped till after 4 –

Moore then sat a long while in the upper kitchen – I avoided telling anything about Staups – merely said that so much as £160 per annum had not been bid – A little talk about the coal left in Staups land – Said I had heard at what it was valued – Moore said £1000.  Yes! said I, exactly that sum – Well! but, said he, could I loose it without expense.  Yes! – Then would get Wellroyde Loose loose, Oh! said I avoiding a direct answer, I have loose enough if wanted –

Read a few pages forward of Bloxham – Dinner at 6 – Coffee – Near 1/2 hour with my father and Marian –

Then read article, Gout in Hooper’s Medical Dictionary –

And then wrote the above of today till 8 40/.. –

At 9 John brought the postbag, and note from Mr. Sunderland’s with Mrs. Sunderland’s compliments (written by one of the young men) to say compliments and sorry Mr. Sunderland is no better this evening

25 minutes with my aunt till 9 50/.. –

Very fine winter’s day – F 32° at at 9 50/.. p.m. –

 

WYAS Finding Number SH:7/ML/E/17/0150

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835