Monday, January 18, 1836

1836

January

Monday 18

7 3/4

11 14

No kiss.

F 39° and rainy, windy morning at 8 35/.. 

Ann had Mary lacing stays.  Her blister place not looked, but I did it up last night and luckily it is well.  She smiled at breakfast and said she was better, but tho I talked a good deal and as if not much had happened, yet my gravity was there.  I never kissed till she came to me to pay toll on going to the water closet.  

Breakfast at 9.  Staid a little after Ann, reading Holland on the Laws of Life from page 91 to 113 –

Out at 10 1/4 – With Robert Mann + 3, shifting drift scale to front of house, then with Joseph Mann at Listerwick cabin some time in spite of rain – Can get drain covers 2 feet 2 inches long and 6 to 8 inches thick (none under 6) at 5d per linear yard at the delf – To ask what Pollard will cart them for – Some bend-wood (wood naturally bent so as to make a frame) for the Engine pit, a circle of 9 foot drain – And iron rails wanted – Talked to Joseph, and had mentioned it also to Robert, about the price they would take the bit of coal of me at the top of the hill – Might give me so much a yard for it –

Came in at 12 35/.. – wild, windy, rainy day – nobody working below at Pump field drain or taking out Engine pit, so I suppose Robert Mann and company will be obliged to give up this afternoon –

Changed my pelisse and boots – just passed through the blue room in coming to my study, and at my desk at 12 50/.. Just said a word or two of civil inquiry to Ann in passing –

From 12 50/.. to 1 55/.., wrote all but the 1st 3 1/2 lines of yesterday and so far of today – then downstairs from 2 to 3 50/.. read from page 113 to page 189, Holland’s Inquiry into the Laws of Life –

Then came upstairs – Above 1/2 hour in the blue room – Stood reading Marian’s Paxton’s Horticultural Register, now edited by __ Main, for last October – Interesting on Fruit borders, 14 inch depth of good soil enough – On fruit trees in pots, on landscape gardening, cork tree above 300 years old, etc. etc. – at page 394, refers to Dennis’s Landscape Gardener – at page 370, refers to the Fruit Cultivator by Mr. Rogers – Washed hands, etc.  Rang for candles and came to my study about 5 –

Had talked to Ann quietly and civilly, but still gravely – From 5 to 6 looking over and arranging the 2 last months’ newspapers (morning Herald) to go to Whitley’s to be bound –

Dinner at 6 – Coffee – Ann read aloud her page of French as we have done for the last few days after coffee –

Poor thing, she was almost in tears.  Bade her come and sit on my knee.  

Explained.  She at first said I had done to her (about the carriage) as she would not have done to me (but I gently reasoned her out of this) and all was set right again and she told me her plans of this morning for leaving me, taking lodgings in London and having masters.  Would have asked me to let her write in my name to Mrs. Hawkins to take the lodging.  Thought of Crowthers the librarian’s daughter for a maid and to get a man as well as she could.  Might have asked Jane Chapman to be with her, but not certain.  Poor thing, thought I, what plans.  

Was kind to her.  Said I would have helped her at any rate, and done what I could for her, etc. etc.  Without kindness and great good management, I really think she would go wrongish in her upper works.

Ann and I sat talking till my father was gone to bed – Ann went upstairs and I to my aunt for 1/4 hour till 9 50/.., at which hour F 45° – windy, stormy, boisterous, rainy day –


WYAS Finding Numbers SH:7/ML/E/18/0162 and SH:7/ML/E/18/0163

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835