Saturday, November 27, 1830 (inadvertently omitted in my August 2020 transcriptions)

1830 November

Saturday 27

(Got up at) 6 40/.. /  (Went to bed at) 12 3/4

Ready in an hour.

Wrote note to M. Monod, Faubourg Saint Martin, No. 80, to ask Messers Waterhouse and Rawson to dinner at 5 tomorrow.

Out at 8 20/.. (met Dr. Tanchou in the Champs Elysées near the Barriere in going, and he walked with me as far as the Barriere) by La Muette through the Bois de Boulogne to Boulogne 1 5/.. in the bois. Returned the same way and home at 11 25/..

Note in answer from M. Monod that the boys will come, then an hour with my aunt ordering about dinner for tomorrow – very tiresome I have nobody who can save me such work as this.

Then breakfast, then talking on with Cameron about her carelessness till she cried and then of course there was an and of it.

At my desk at 2.  1/2 hour nap.  Monsieur and Madame and the 2 Mademoiselles Séné called at 4 and staid 3/4 hour.  Would have sent to inquire after my aunt and come long ago but fancied that, like all the English, we had left Paris.  One of their servants had met me on the road to Bordeaux and thought my aunt was with me.  He knew and spoke to George.

Then after the Sénés went, writing till 6.  Wrote out last 3 or 4 lines of November 13 and the whole of 14, 15, and 1/2 of 16 after dinner.  Dinner at 6 20/.. Read the papers of yesterday and today and came to my room at 7 1/2. Had a longish nap.

Coffee at 9 20/.. Came to my room at 11 1/2, again talking of Shibden and how little my aunt would like it. She determined to make the offer, but evidently more from expediency than inclination.  Cannot tell how it will turn. Musing about it as I walked this morning.  This  troisième of this house, the porter’s wife said this morning, 1800 francs a year – say, 1500/.   ₤25 per annum might make the difference between here and Shibden.  Thinking how to fit up the red room and north room for my aunt à la Francaise.  Would cost, furniture and all, at least ₤200.  I think all will perhaps turn up, whether the troisième here continues unlet.

Came to my room at 11 1/2. Fine frosty morning – very fine frosty day – F 33° at 8 20/.. a.m. and 41 1/2° now at 11 35/.. p.m.  Reading Monsieur Fièvée’s brochure till 12 20/..

 

WYAS Finding Number SH:7/ML/E/13/0113

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835