Sunday, January 10, 1836

1836

January

Sunday 10

8 25/..

11 25/..

No kiss.

Ann had another restless night from the soreness of the blister place – but the place doing well this morning – No need to change the linen –

Went down and made breakfast at 9 20/.. – A few minutes with my father and Marian before Ann came down –

Afterwards till 11 1/4, looking over Spanish and Italian botany in the Encyclopaedia of Geography –

Then had Charlotte Booth (for 10 minutes in my study) – gave her the Étrennes from my aunt and as much from myself altogether 10/. – Then had motion in the court.

Wrote the above of this morning till 11 3/4, at which hour, F 32 1/2° and fine, cold, frosty day –

At 12 in 25 minutes, read prayers to my aunt (in bed) and Oddy and Mary and my 2 men – Ann sat quietly in the blue room –

Then had Mr. Jubb near 1/2 hour.  Talked moving the Dispensary – The present situation unhealthy – malaria from the too often used water of a steam engine and common stove – Suggested the propriety of ascertaining the line of level of the nuisance, and seeing if it might be possible to put the patients in the garret, so as to be above the influence of the noxious vapor – Affects those who have wounds, does not affect the people in the house who are in health, or have had no surgical operation performed. 

Asked if there was any anatomical museum attached to the Dispensary – No! Nor to the Philosophical Society’s museum – Proposed their fitting one up in the council room – Mr. Jubb offered to shew me his own private collection – Thinks of reading a lecture on the Ear to the Philosophical Society, but waiting for a Skull from Paris for better exemplification – Offered to give him any assistance I could –

My aunt much better and Ann too – Mention of Mr. Day.  Mr. Jubb will improve upon our spirit of wine and camphor by adding a little turpentine –

At the school in 1/4 hour at 2 1/4 – Sat 1/4 hour in the carriage reading Rennie’s Alphabet of Medical Botany – Mr. Bates did all the duty – Preached very fairly 21 minutes from Isaiah XLV.22. 

1/2 hour at Cliff hill – home at 5 5/.. – Sat talking – Dressed – Dinner at 6 1/4 – Coffee – Ann and I about 1/2 hour with my father and Marian – then Ann near 1/2 hour with my aunt, and I looking over Alphabet of Medical Botany and writing the above of today till 8 1/4.

Then wrote 3  pages of 1/2 sheet to Dr. Belcombe recommending Jane Thirsk my sister’s favorite and Confidential servant to his Care – To tell her own case – If anybody can cure her, Dr. B- can, and if he can, she is to be my sister’s waiting woman and factotum – Ask him to write by and by and say what he thinks of the chances of restoring her (Jane) to good trustworthy health –

Then wrote 3 pages of inquiry after Mr. and Mrs. Duffin – Then 20 minutes with my aunt till 10 10/.. – Then undressed –

Fine, cold, frosty day.  F 28° at 10 1/2 p.m. –

 

WYAS Finding Numbers SH:7/ML/E/18/0158 and SH:7/ML/E/18/0159

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835