Thursday, September 17, 1835

1835

September

Thursday 17

7 20/..

12 40/..

No motion these three days

Ann at Cliff hill – Ready in 3/4 hour – Fine morning, sunny and F 57 1/2° at 8 10/.., at which hour, went out –

At the Cascade bridge, in the farmyard, and about till 9 40/.. – Then got 1/2 my breakfast, then a little while with my father and Marian and went out for a few minutes for the tea get rather stronger, but staid out till 12 –

At Adney bridge – Had Mr. Husband and Charles and James Howarth and Robert Schofield and his man Joseph Sharpe to get an oak down to make room for bridge-road – All pulled at it – unshaken – Knew Messers Harper and Gray would say taking the tree down spoilt the job – Sorry to take it, but thought the road required it – Would be too narrow without taking the tree down.  However, happening to turn to Charles Howarth and ask him, he thought he would let the tree stand if it was his – so, 1/2 of his mind already, I took off the men and, no harm being yet done to the tree, left it to stand –

Finished breakfast at 12 – Poor Ann! What would she say? I should be more irregular than ever if she was away –

Had left Marian in a hurry – she was troubled about a letter from Mr. Marshall to say Mr. Robinson was dangerously ill – Went to her about 12 1/2 and staid talking an hour – At last her troubles after Mr. Robinson and 2 sick servants in the house at home (Jane the house maid and Matthew the footman) and 1 thing or other, expenses of housekeeping, and wear and tear make her think me right, that if the management of the whole was in my hands it would be better for everybody – Talked it over – She seems satisfied and even wishful to have this plan tried – She had mentioned being obliged to put out all the washing, and that my aunt’s living and soap used by Oddy in washing for her, and candles and now stable candles, were so much greater an expense than before, that there must be something additional paid by my aunt – In short, poor Marian’s troubles were heavy – She wished to take my father and live at Market Weighton – However it now seems settled for me to take all into my own hands do as I like and make everybody as comfortable as I can –

Came to my study at 1 3/4.  Had been raining heavily for the last hour – Tried at a letter of congratulation to Charlotte Canning.  How extraordinary, I cannot manage it – Wrote the above of today till 2 1/4

2 of Nelson’s masons began this morning and finished this evening taking down stove recess in the library, and put up a splayed stone one and less deep than the former square one – The stove set more forward – will heat the room better and looks much better –

Out again at 2 1/4 in spite of the rain – not fair till after 4 – Had Booth to see about removing the coal place to the kitchen and of the house – He is very obliging and honest, but not quick – some while talking to John – Booth and 3 masons (men) at the buttress all the day except putting up the 2 stall-stable window frames, and taking up fireplace in George’s room – Told him I now thought of turning it into a washhouse –

Came in about 4 1/2 – dressed for riding, and off on Ann’s pony at 4 50/.. to Cliff hill – A sad fight with the animal almost all the way, but particularly in water lane – At Cliff hill in 25 minutes, and staid there 1/2 hour.  5 or 6 minutes with Ann before anybody else came to me but she dared scarce speak.  Talked of going to York on Monday.  Captain Sutherland wants half the rent books. Ann would not give them up.  He said she wanted to quarrel, and she left the room.  I agreeableized and talked much to the Sutherlands, particularly Captain Sutherland – Mrs. Ann Walker and Ann scarcely uttered – They all thought Ann meant to stay at Cliff hill the whole of the Sutherlands visit, but Ann told her aunt she must return home on Saturday – I think she will not be sorry to be back –

In returning, rode as far as Lower brea on the new road, then retraced my steps and came the old road – The pony had had enough of fighting and came back very tolerably –

Home in 40 minutes at 6 55/.. Dinner at 7 40/.. (near 1/2 hour with my father and Marian before dinner) – Coffee – Sat musing on my morning’s and afternoon’s conversation with Marian – I hardly think Ann will like my taking all into my own hands – Nous verrons –

20 minutes with my aunt till 10 5/.. – She saw my mind was occupied though I did not at all explain what about –

Note this morning per messenger from Messers Parker and Adam

‘Madam,

Mr. Stansfield has called upon us on behalf of Messers Keighley and Company, and after much conversation, wished to know if you would consent to allow them 3 years to get the coal. 
He quite agreed that they had no legal claim. 

We have the honor to be, Madam, your most obedient servants,

 Parker and Adam.

Halifax, 17 September 1835’ –

The note was brought to me by and by –

Wrote the last 25 lines till 10 40/.., at which hour F 59°.  Fine day till about (near) 1 – About 2, heavy rain for above an hour, and then more or less from 1 to after 4 p.m. – Fair about 4 1/4 for the rest of the afternoon and evening –

Went downstairs and sat till 11 50/.. writing rough copy of note to Charlotte Canning (satisfied with it) and to her mother


WYAS Finding Number SH:7/ML/E/18/0098

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Saturday, September 26, 1835