Tuesday, January 19, 1836

1836

January

Tuesday 19

8 1/2

12

A tolerable kiss last night, poor Ann not disinclined, meaning to be affectionate, and we are all right

Sent off by Frank the 2 last months’ newspapers to Whitley and Booth to be bound –

Sun shining and F 34° at 9 25/.., at which hour, breakfast and Mr. Matthew Pattison came and paid Ann her 1/2 of the bond-debt due to her, i.e. £350 – Then sat over breakfast and looking over Ann’s coal plans, etc. (Shugden Head, etc.) till out at 11 5/..

Some time with Robert Mann + 3 – They finished shifting the water drift scale from the far side of the road to near the Cascade Bridge on the great embankment opposite the house, and in the afternoon they finished cutting down the scale from under the large beeches close to Adney Bridge, thus widening the approach to the bridge sufficiently –

Some while at Listerwick cabin and with Mallinson and his boy, hanging the farmyard gates

Came in at 12 1/4 – walked Ann out on the flags in front of the house for 20 minutes till one, the 1st time she has been out since putting on her blister – She poorly and starved, and glad to get back into the house – Sat with her at her luncheon and out again at 1 1/2

With Robert Mann and company all the afternoon at Adney Bridge – Will rough wall the scale, so as to hold it up, letting in the stones by bit and bit by taking out stuff to bed then fast in the scale rock – Will do yard at 3/6 per rood of 7 yards by 1 yard high –

Off to Halifax, by the Lodge and down the new bank, at 2 5/.. –

Some time at Northgate – Mr. Husband shewed me the pateræ for the portico, etc., etc. – Getting on as well as the weather will permit –

Some time at Whitley’s – Saw Mr. Parker there – He was coming to Shibden Hall today.  He had seen Mr. Stead about the reservoir for Ann’s Water Lane mill – If no damage done to the mills, thought there would be no objection – but Lady William Gordon changing her people, stewards and attorneys, and he, her steward, not certain of being continued –

Mr. Leather, Engineer of Leeds, came over to receive the last rents – Would it not be best to send for and employ and pay him, and then there might be no difficulty.  Yes! I thought so too – would tell Ann, and mentioned my not agreeing with Sowden and wishing the farm to be advertised – A few handbills put up – Would write the particulars –

Ordered at Whitley’s Martinet’s Manual of Pathology and Holland’s Experimental Inquiries into the Laws of Life, then to the Yorkshire District Bank – Went into the private room – Said I should have little to put into the bank, my payments just now so great – Should have brought my rents – but I should but have left them a day or 2, and this was not worth the trouble – I did not wish to disturb anything till I knew the whole sum I should want – this would not be till next Christmas at any rate – but I should settle my account before I left home for any long time – or I would settle my account at any time on receiving a little notice beforehand –

Would they advance me the sum I might want, £5,000 or £6,000 at least – Yes! They would with pleasure advance whatever I wanted – I asked at what rate – what would be the whole expense per cent that they would charge me – The young man said 5 per cent but had not had a very profitable concern of it – Very well, said I – I know I shall have all to take out and nothing to put in for some time to come – You ought to have some advantage – I had thought of offering you 4 1/2 per cent – The young man called in Mr. McKean – I repeated what had passed – He agreed to let me have what I wanted at 4 1/2 per cent and wrote a memorandum in my banking book to this effect – But it does not specify whether Commission and all charges, as I intended, is included in the 4 1/2 per cent – It ought to be – Je verrai – I made no observation on this at the time but came away –

called at Messers Parker and Adam’s office in returning and asked for my account –

Returned by the old bank and thence back at the Lodge at 3 35/.. –

Some time with Booth and then with Robert Mann and company till 5 1/2 – Set him to begin again levelling about the Lower fish pond tomorrow and told him to tell Holt to come the 1st thing tomorrow morning as George had just told me Walker Pit was stopt – Holdsworth’s mill wheel began going on Monday afternoon and all the brook got into the old works and the water was 2 feet deep in Walker pit – Could not go on pheying – Robert always thought it would be so – The water must be taken from the wheel in pen-troughs – (the whole job might be well done for £100) – Samuel Holdsworth actionable – Must deliver the water back into the brook – Said I should hear what Holt said –

Came in at 5 40/.. – Had Mallinson to look at the water closet and see what he would box it up for – I have wood that will do for it that was meant for what was the linen closet –

Dinner at 6 1/4 – Coffee – Ann did her French till 7 3/4 – Then with my father and Marian, Ann 20 minutes and I till 10 – Then a few minutes with my aunt – Then sat talking to Ann till 11 –

Very fine day – Frosty – F 32° at 11 p.m.

 

WYAS Finding Numbers SH:7/ML/E/18/0163 and SH:7/ML/E/18/0164

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835