Friday, April 2, 1830

1830

April

Friday 2

6 3/4

12 50/..

Fahrenheit 54° at 7 1/2 a.m. 

Out at 8 – Drove to the bois de Boulogne – My usual walk to Boulogne – then to Bagatelle – a little beyond there began to rain – got into the carriage – Returned by the route d’Armenonville and home at 10 20/.. in 35 minutes –

Breakfast almost immediately – Had my hair done in case anyone should come.  Pretend to my aunt Lady Isabella Blatchford has not got my card.  She has got it, but perhaps will not return my call.

At my desk at 11 3/4 – At foreign cash book – finally settled it for the last year, and found that after all I have only to place to ‘Lost or unaccounted for’ 111/47 1/2 instead of about 500/. as I thought at first –

At 1 10/.., letter per post from the Embassy from Miss Hobart from Lady Stuart and from Miss MacLean – Wrote 3 pages of a 1/2 sheet to Lady Stuart –

In answer to what she says of Miss MacLean, say it is quite useless to say anything to her (Miss MacLean).  I have hitherto succeeded so ill, shall try no more –   

‘I entirely agree with you as to the absurdity of her enthusiasm, and am quite of the opinion that the very conspicuous part she is now playing is not proper for her’ – But I have no influence – I can do nothing to make the matter better, and shall therefore try to think and care as little about it as possible’ –

Will pay Mademoiselle Paulinier on Monday. Shall be engaged all tomorrow with Jardin-des-Plantes concerns.

‘. . . If there be anything in the world I can do for you, I shall always do it with pleasure, and can only assure you, my dear Lady Stuart, that you may always count upon the very sincere regard of yours very affectionately,

A Lister’ –

Had just written the above at 4 10/.., then wrote a full 1/2 sheet to Miss MacLean

‘I am grieved to hear you have got so bad a cold – Come when you can – I have almost made up my mind to stay at home for the next 6 months, at least, on account of lectures, etc. etc. –

Not to get the case of surgical instruments – she could not get it safe over – Sorry I mentioned it to her at all – My aunt’s physician going to London – Will get me all I want in his way –

Much obliged to Sowerby for his advice – Will take it – Not to get the Conversations on Vegetable Physiology.  They were for a lady, but I will not be the abettor of such printed nonsense –

Advise her to get Hammersleys circulars instead of putting her money into the bank in my name –

Sent off my letter to ‘Miss Maclean, 41 Harley Street’ in envelope, enclosed in envelope with my letter to the ‘Honorable Lady Stuart, Whitehall’ by George to the Embassy at 5 20/.. –

My letter from Miss Hobart a 1/2 sheet full – She thinks Sibbella ‘too easy – She will begin to see by and by that all this ‘Zeal’ about Mr. Long is not quite the thing – 

Poor dear Lady Stuart seems of my opinion on the subject.  

She writes me 3 pages of a 1/2 sheet enclosing bill to pay to Mademoiselle Paulinier, and enclosing also a draught on a banker here for the money and for what I paid for the stockings –

She bids me not name that she has mentioned it, but thinks Miss MacLean’s ‘zeal’ it appears to me quite absurd and not proper for her’ –

Lady Stuart does not say much of herself – Miss Hobart says she gets out a little every day, and is a little better but the leg does not heal, and she has much pain from it –

Miss Hobart is not quite clear? about her bills – but bids me tell Mademoiselle Paulinier she will pay it directly –

Miss MacLean thinks now that she may come by Brighton – but says she will not mind my being at home but will come to my aunt !  She is therefore uncertain as ever – This very tiresome, but I do not  shew the least impatience.  

Long rigmarole again about Mr. Long and his patients, she being the person to get them, receive them , answer their letters, etc., etc.  

Well for Mr. Long to have met such a gull! – Not very agreeable to Miss MacLean’s friends to have them identified with Mr. Long –

Had just done the above at 5 3/4 – Calculating – Dinner at 6 1/4 – Read the paper – Came to my room at 7 40/.. – Forest came at 8 to dress my hair – Had 1/4 hour’s nap after he went – Dressed – Coffee at 9 20/.. –

Off at 9 1/2 to No. 20 rue de la Paix, chez les dames Balfour and Wilson – 

Singing by Miss Clarke, music good by Miss Colson – 

Danced on the carpet in the salon (very crowded) 

2 ecarté tables in the adjoining bedroom – Lady Vavasour and Mrs. Murray playing there – Sat chiefly by them – 

Miss Alexander there with the shaking head – 

Mrs. Balfour very civil – much less vulgar than her sister, Mrs. Wilson – Told me she was very intimate with Lady Albinia Cumberland from whom she brought a letter to Lady Stuart de Rothesay – 

Miss MacLean’s Mrs. Maclachlin there – a queer looking sort of person – On asking if Mrs. Balfour knew  such a person – Yes!! She was close to me – Going to introduce me, but I, hastily, Oh! no! I do not know her –

Home at 11 1/2 – Read the last few pages, last number Annales des Sciences Naturelles – Wrote last 9 lines –

Rain this morning from 9 3/4 till about noon more or less – Cleared up and was fine about 3 – Damp, wettish evening –

Fahrenheit 56° now at 12 20/.. tonight – Fair, but damp –

 

WYAS Finding Numbers SH:7/ML/E/13/0021 and SH:7/ML/E/13/0022

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835