Friday, April 9, 1830 (Partial Entry)

1830

April

Friday 9

7

12/5..

Up at 6 10/.. for 20 minutes – Fahrenheit 55° at 8 and rainy morning 

At my desk at 8 – In my letter to Mariana, say that if we could choose our time I, at this moment, scarce know what I should prefer –

Perhaps she would like better and profit more from a little excursion than staying here where she has seen everything and knows no one – She had seen so little of the continent, a pity not to make the best use of her time – ‘We must think about it’ – . . .‘Will Charles help you?  A hundred pounds will not do – We might economize by taking no maid, but a 1st rate travelling servant would be indispensable . . . . . .

the best thing you could do with your britzka would  be to travel in it – If you are likely to get a mere nothing for it, it would be worthwhile to keep it for your journey – I should like very well to have it if you brought it, and if you did not ask too much for it’

Mention looking at the phaeton – Said to be little used – English built – at 1/2 price, at £80 but would not give more than 1/2 that – ‘I would rather have a new bitzka built on purpose for me by and by – I fancy you have yet to learn how beautifully carriages of this sort are fitted up abroad –

As for plans, it is impossible for me to have any; when you come you shall hear a multitude of ideas – Mille choser peuvent arriver – My aunt is quite well enough to be left; and I think I shall be off somewhere, in process of time’ –

All uncertain again about Miss MacLean – ‘The fact is, after having expected her for the last 18 months, I shall let her coming take its chance – She says, if I am not at home, she will come to my aunt – I have begged her to take her own time, adding that lectures etc. etc. may settle me for the next 5 or 6 months, but beyond this I say nothing’ –

Hope what Mariana calls my ‘minor establishment’ will ‘not be very expensive’ This and its accessories have already cost ‘about £30 – et j’ai encore beaucoup à faire’ – To begin my daily residence there on Tuesday – ‘I have got and shall the commonest chairs and tables’ – ….‘Do not expect an Augusta Cottage.

I should indeed be happy if Charles would buy this place, and am, somehow or other, not quite without hope that he will – he is good hearted, and, I think, if made properly sensible of situation, would take the matter into serious consideration –

Do ask him quietly some time what he fancies you would do, in the event of your surviving him, with not a place to put your head in, an income of £400, and £2,000 for which you could not get more than 4 per cent which would consequently make your whole income £ 480 per annum with houserent, everything to pay !  

Do ask him this question; and ask him what good it will do to you or him (and William may alter the whole thing , when he gets it) when he is gone, and you are left in comparative poverty, to have spent £3,000 more on the house at Lawton, when it is already good enough for all you want, and when, after all, you are not likely to be there much !

Does Charles ever think what you will, or what you can do on £480 a year? Were I in your place, I should decidedly oppose straitening the income for a purpose which has so little to recommend it’ –

Not to name the chance of her coming – Isabella has asked my plans for the summer and might wish to come with her –

Mention the breaking of the axletree on Wednesday – but would not have done to have sold and had merely their bitzka – Must have a close carriage to visit in – Tell me what Holmes values your bitzka at – Do not give it away without  telling me beforehand – But is not your keeping it to travel in, if you come here, worth a thought ? I think I shall not go far (on the continent) in my own close carriage again; and I am not yet determined about ordering an open one – ….

I have heard nothing very lately about the collieries, but count upon some disagreeable or other by and by –

I have paid off Freeman, and concentrated the whole of what I owe (except £2000) at the bank – This is more convenient – I conclude the money was paid in London to Mrs. Milne, though you have never mentioned it – …. little Mariana’s school bill is not more than I expected – I am glad this and other things have not prevented your making some provision for coming here – Yes! Send the sum to Hammersley – it will lie there very quietly, and be ready whenever you want it’ –

To send the loupe and socks and Eustace if she can spare him’ to Mr. Long’s, 41 Harley Street – at Mr. Long’s the parcel will be sure to be safe – But no doubt, I think, Miss MacLean will not be off these 2 or 3 weeks at least – At all rates, send your parcel to Harley Street as soon as you can’ – No hint that Miss MacLean is staying there – 

Lady Isabella Blatchford and I have exchanged calls but not met – Mention being at Mrs. Balfour’s – ‘Howe I named her to you – She is of Edinburgh – a friend of Lady Albinia Cumberland’s – The Halls went on the 27th ultimo – the Vavasours go next week – and the Poores the end of the month’ –

Lectures recommence on Tuesday – shall have them Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday certain, and occasionally other days – and should like to have one lesson a week from  Madame Galvani – Have only had time to have 4 lessons since my return last year – Letters to write and shall be very busy – chitchat, and conclude –

Had just written all the above of today at 9 5/.. – at 10 sent off my letter to ‘Mrs. Lawton, Lawton hall, Lawton, Cheshire, Angleterre’ –

Breakfast over at 10 40/.. – Afterwards near an hour’s nap – Had before written 2 pages of 1/2 sheet to Miss Hobart


WYAS Finding Number SH:7/ML/E/13/0024

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835