Monday, April 5, 1830

1830

April

Monday 5

7 50/..

12 10/..

Got up for 1/2 hour  at 6.  Sitting on pot.  Feet asleep, so got into bed again.  Incurred a cross, thinking partly of π [Mariana], Miss MacLean, etc.

Out at 8 1/2 – to the bois de Boulogne – My usual walk in 1 3/4 back to Porte Maillot –

Ordered brown loaf every 6th day –

Home at 11 5/.. – Breakfast – Reading Voltaire’s letters – From 12 3/4 to 5, at my accounts 1/2 hour , and then musing over letter, 3 pages and the ends and under the seal from Marian (Shibden) and letter, 2 pages, from Mr. James Briggs (Halifax), and writing 3 pages and the ends to Marian, having first written 1 page  of another sheet which, on consideration, I threw away, thinking it best not to enter into any explanations not absolutely necessary –

Her letter strikes me as being altogether rather an odd one

Mr. Briggs had only had one application for Lower Place, but this one likely enough to answer – His letter dated 31st ultimo. ‘On Thursday last there was a great procession of ten thousand people to lay the 1st stone of St. James’s Church and all went off very well’ –

From 5 to 6 1/4, talking to my aunt and reading her my letters – and dressed – Tried on the 1st new dress Cameron has made me, after the pattern of the travelling dress Madame Decante made me last August, and it fits as well as the pattern –

Dinner at 6 1/4 – Read the paper – Campbell’s defence of Lady Byron against Moore’s Life of Lord Byron – Came to my room at 8 3/4 –

Little note from Miss Poore to say the children were ill, Lady Poore not at all well, and ⸫ she could not go tomorrow to Bagatelle – but Miss Poore would be ready at 9 or 9 1/2 – Wrote a little back in answer to say I would be there at 9 1/2 unless the morning was unfavourable, in which case I would send to let her know or would see her and make some other arrangement –

Wrote copy of letter to Mr. Briggs.

Coffee at 9 40/.. – Came to my room at 10 3/4, at which hour, Fahrenheit 42 1/2° and fine night – Fine day –

Sat up talking to my aunt about Marian and her letter –

 

WYAS Finding Number SH:7/ML/E/13/0022

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835