Tuesday, March 30, 1830

1830

March

Tuesday 30

6 10/..

12 25/..

Out at 7 25/.. Fahrenheit 51° at 6 1/2 a.m..  Went out at 7 35/.. meaning to go to the Jardin des Plantes, but so long on the Quais, turned back at the end of the rue de Siene and still did not get back till 10 1/4 –

Breakfast – Sent the carriage for Miss Hall at 10 1/2 to Mrs. Bray’s, grande rue de Chaillot –

Dressed – Off with Miss Hall from here at 11 1/2 to the Bibliothèque du Roi – Presented my letter from M. Audoin to M. Haase at the head of the Manuscripts – He was very civil – Shewed us the manuscripts, and then downstairs among the Estampes, where we were seated at the great table with a lady and a great many gentlemen –

Miss Hall had 2 of the 14 immense volumes of prints of Raphael’s pictures, which most interested her – I had a quarto volume, the work of Lens the painter, on the costume of the nations of antiquity – Printed at Dresden (in French) in 1785 –

Drove direct from the Bibliothèque to the rue de la Paix and set Miss Hall down at No. 4 at 1 35/.. –

Then called on Lady Isabella Blatchford, Hotel de Bristol – Not at home – Left my card –

Then called on Mrs. Hamilton – not at home  – Left my card –

Then called and sat 25 minutes with Lady and Miss Vavasour – The former sets off for England on the 17th next month – Dislikes her apartment and dislikes Paris – Decidedly vulgar

Then called and sat 1/2 hour with Mrs. Holme aux Bains de Tivoli – She called, it seems, the other day to read me her news from Miss Grace Mellin – Had the whole today –  Nothing interesting to me but that my father had taken great care of himself in the winter by seldom stirring out, and was very well and Marian was ‘in charming health’..

Miss Grace thought of the pleasure Mrs Holme and I should have in meeting, and hoped if I went to England this year, I should persuade her to go with me! I said I had no intention of going this year – Mrs. Holme is far too vulgar for me.  I daresay she thinks me coolish.  I made a point of staying half an hour, but had hoped she would be out

Home at 3 5/.. – Ordered the carriage in an hour, thinking my aunt would go out – She is full today – Feels quite a weight to herself – Has not been [able] to walk about so well as usual these last few days –

Wrote the above of today till 3 1/2 – George took my note (written last night) this morning to M. Julliart, so had no lesson – I feel drowsy and languid and the vulgarity of Mrs. Holme never puts me in good humour –

Note of invitation to a small party on Friday from Mrs. Balfour and Mrs. Wilson, rue de la Paix, No. 20 –

Wrote note to ‘Monsieur Monsieur le baron de Damas’

‘Madame Lister presente ses civilités très empressées à monsieur le baron de Damas, et le prie de vouloir bien avon la bonté de lui accorder une permission pour voir Bagatelle, mardi ce 30 Mars’ –

and wrote the same thing but ‘presente ses civilités,’ leaving out the très empressées, to ‘Monsieur Monsieur Cleuée à la police’ to ask to see the Conciergerie –

And went out (with my aunt) at 4 1/4 – Shopping – Ordered 2 dozen large and 1 dozen small buttons at Maurisset’s – Left my note for the baron de Damas at the Tuileries, and ditto for M. Cleuée at the prefecture de la police, and drove to my little apartment – My price for the fountain and shelves (26/.) not taken –

then to the Jardin des Plantes to ask M. Desfontaines for a general permission to be admitted ad libitum to the Serres and for Sir Edward Poore to be admitted – Yes! Certainly, when with me – Met M. Desfontaine at his own door – No one could be more civil –

M. Audoin, seeing me there, came up – told him what I had done about the fountain and that I should not take regular possession of my little apartment till the 8th – Asked him and Madame Audoin to tea – Offered to send the carriage – this to be fixed when I got into my apartment – M. Audoin will then try to give me an hour one day a week – Will give me a lesson on the mollusques etc. –

Then drove to Aldringen’s about the wheels (Aldringen saw me this morning and said they were ready) – Measured them – found them exactly like the old ones – but the fellies of elm – Inquired the reason – Had no ash sufficiently well seasoned – Had had the misfortune to have  his premises burnt down –

Home at 6 40/.. – Dressed – Dinner at 7 5/.. – Read the paper – Came to my room at 9 – The 2 glasses champagne made me sleepy – Slept till coffee at 10 – came to my room again at 10 35/.., at which hour, Fahrenheit 59°.  Very fine mild warm night.  Very fine day –

M. Desfontaine said the fine weather was come too soon – Not summer yet – We should have bad weather for it in May –

Found my cousin come gently just after my coming home at three, but put nothing on till going to bed –

Salad today (cabbage lettuces), the 1st time this year

Wrote the last 21 lines till 11 –


WYAS Finding Number SH:7/ML/E/13/0020

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835