Wednesday, April 7, 1830

 1830

April

Wednesday 7

6 55/..

12 50/..

Fahrenheit 49° at 7 1/4 a.m.

Out at 8 10/.. to the bois de Boulogne – My usual walk in 1 3/4 hour and home at 10 3/4 – Breakfast over at 12, having had Brion –

Paid him for the last month – He came in to me to speak about the horses being maigris – Jacques said they were kept too long attelés, and he was then obliged to drive too quick – M. Brion very civil and so was I – He said I ought to have 3 horses –

I said I paid as much as I wished to pay, and that M. Brion must think about it, and if he could not make things suit him according to my work, I really must give up the horses altogether, about which I was indifferent –

I said when the horses had to wait, as on Sunday, Jacques might take oats with him for them to eat – I had no objection to this – but I really could not promise anything about lessening the work I had today – I should probably go to the bois de Boulogne – and the Jardin des Plantes almost every day during the summer unless when I went into the country, and when I did not go there, my aunt might use the carriage in the middle of the day – But I would promise nothing – M. Brion would see whether he could arrange the matter to his satisfaction or not –

I was only just at my desk looking over my journal to see the hours I had been out during the last month; when George came in to say the hind axletree of the carriage was broken in two – Took it so quietly, George seemed astonished – Always something wants doing to the carriage

Wrote the above of today till 12 3/4 – Dressed.  Put on 1st time the dress Cameron made me –

Out en fiacre at 2 20/.. – Drove to the great poste aux lettres – George put in my letter (dated yesterday written on Monday) to ‘Miss Marian Lister, Shibden hall, Halifax, Yorkshire, Angleterre, Par Estafette’ – and my letter ‘par Estafette Mr. James Briggs, Horton Street, Halifax, Yorkshire, Angleterre’ and paid 6 sols additional for each letter  i.e. 22 sols, instead of 16 sols each

Then drove to Daldringen’s, rue de la Montagne – Will send for the carriage immediately – Put a new axle tree, and let me the carriage back on Friday afternoon –

Paid off the fiacre (had had it 3/4 hour , and sent George with note to ‘the Right Reverend Bishop Luscombe’ to say Mrs. Lister would be very much obliged to him to fix any day this week, or any day except Tuesday  and Saturday next week to administer the sacrament to her at home –

Then set off alone direct to the other side the water – Sauntered along the Quais and rue St. André des Arts and via rue de Seine to my little apartment – No fountain – Went into the neighboring pot shop – Pots de chambre at ./70 that M. D-  pays 1 franc for here – Neat curaffes at 2/50 – Then to the fabrique de chaises – as a good a chaise de bureau at 15/. as Raveschot charged me 25/. for –

Then took fiacre sur las place Maubert – Drove to 35 rue de Seine – Explained that I had given a wrong address where to send fountain – Trés fachée d’avoir fait une telle bétise – Gave the son a franc for the additional trouble of seeking my apartment in vain – Leaving the fountain at No. 5 rue du Jardin de Roi (I should have said No. 7 rue St. Victor, not rue du Jardin du Roi) and having to go again about it – The son looked as if I had not given enough – N’etes vous pas content – The good old father looked at him and said ‘Oui, oui, il ne faut pas écorcher personne’ – This struck me – I said nothing, but thought within myself what little thing I could give the honest old man by way of cadeau –

Then home at 6 1/2 – Had my hair done – Dinner at 6 3/4 – Read the paper – came to my room at 8 3/4 – Had a nap – Coffee at 9 20/.. – Talking about what furniture to get for my little apartment – Came to my room at 10 3/4, at which hour, Fahrenheit 51° and finish night – rain more or less all the while I was out before breakfast – Afterwards, damp but fair at noon, and no rain I think afterwards –

Sheets dirty –

Marian in letter (received on Monday) confirmed the report of the death of Mr. Walker at Naples on the 19th January

Wrote  this page so far and had just done at 11 35/.. – Then settling accounts and looking to see cost of different things in January,1827, till 12 –

The carriage went this afternoon chez Daldringen to have a new hind axletree.


WYAS Finding Number SH:7/ML/E/13/0023

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835