Wednesday, March 31, 1830

1830

March

Wednesday 31

6 3/4

12 3/4

Fahrenheit 55° at 7 a.m. –

Out at 8 5/.. – through gardens along the Quais (a long while looking at books, etc.) to No. 35 rue de Seine – Bought fontaine à 5 voies for 35/.

Home at 11 1/4 – Breakfast – 3/4 hour nap in my chair – At my accounts – Dressed –

Out (alone in the carriage) at 2 55/.. – Drove to the Comte de Noé’s to take Mademoiselle de Noé out – Met her and her father at the gate – Named what had been my intention and drove to No. 7, rue de Jardin du Roi to measure the settee, then to the Jardin des Plantes –

Saw Neumann, and M. Pepin, head chef des Écoles de Botanique – To have admission when I liked –

Then little boy shewed me the great cactus – more than 1/2 of it fell broke down before the winter came on – Fell away from age – Had been 130 years in the serre, and was 25 years old when put there –

Then the father of the boy M. Piliou? shewed me the rest of the serres in that part of the garden (next to the musée) – pointed out the 2 great Euphorbia, 50? years old – Pricked one of the leaves of a younger plant – The milky juice that exuded very poisonous – With this, the Indians poison their arrows –

Then went about my fountain – Will give an answer tomorrow whether to take the one of 5 voies or one of 4 –

Then drove to Madame Galvani to consult her – Not much the better for this, but it led to my saying I had a little pied à terre close to the Jardin – Staid while she dined – She gave me home with me a pot of gooseberry gelée made by Nannette – Also has made 36 such pots last year – asked her to go with  me to Sèvres in the autumn, to lay in a stock of apples, and promised to give Madame Galvani her stock – She gave me, too, a billet d’admission from the directeur général des Travaux, le Vicomte Héricart de Thiery, that I have now 2 – This and the one Mademoiselle de Noé gave me the other day –

Home at 6 1/2 – Dressed – Dinner at 6 55/.. –

Received per poste? but free, in answer to my note yesterday a permission from the prefet de la police to see the conciergerie – Very civil to send it me so soon – 

Read the paper – Came to my room at 8 50/.. – At my private accounts again – coffee at 9 1/2 – Came to my room at 10 3/4, at which hour, Fahrenheit 62°  – Very warm night.  Very fine sunny, summery day – Wrote the above of today till 11 25/.. –


WYAS Finding Numbers SH:7/ML/E/13/0020 and SH:7/ML/E/13/0021

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835