Thursday, March 30, 1837

1837

March

Thursday 30

8

11 40/..

No kiss. I see Ann’s irritability is returning, but she behaves as well as she can, poor thing.  We must be off as soon as we can –

Fine, sunny morning; Fahrenheit 57° in the sun, but I feel very cold – as if it was a hard frost –

Breakfast at 9 1/2, having seen Mr. Horner while he was with Ann.  He mentioned the Mechanics Institute – but on my asking if I was to consider what he said as official, he answered no!, but it was said he was in the habit of coming here and therefore they wished him to inquire if I should object to let them have ground –

I said I would consider about it – I was anxious for the spread of genuine knowledge, but would not inflict upon the town a building in bad architectural taste – I should wish to see and be satisfied with the plan of any building before its being built on my ground – I did not always admire the taste of committees –

I would consider getting asked what was wanted – a library, museum school room reading rooms chemical laboratory.  Thought of 20 X by 15 yards for the site – I asked him to give me a sketch of his own idea of what he himself should like and I would tell him what I thought –

I mentioned the building at Keighley as a faulty piece of architectural taste – he did not seem aware of its making £43 per annum –

He mentioned wanting a Chemical laboratory under the building – That, I said, would not be wise – It would put them at the mercy of any tyro to blow them up or not –

He wanted the lecture-room to hold 600 people ! – Said they had 2000 books – Those, I said, would be easily placed –

Breakfast at 9 1/2, sat till near 12 thinking over and sketching in pencil a rough idea of a building according to the wishes, rather perhaps than to the means, of the Institution – But Mr. Horner said they had observed that they should be obliged to have a handsome building if it was near the hotel, the building in progress at Bradfield, it is supposed, will be done for £2000

With Ann from about 12 to 12 1/2 – Then had the little mahogany chiffonier I got for my aunt brought up out of the drawing room into the blue room, and arranging my books (the small and well bound) in it till 1 1/4.

Then went down to Robert Mann, who came about the thorns moving that they have just stubbed in the old hedge-rows – 

Long talk about the rag-water and getting water to the Engine till Mr. Samuel Bates came about 2 and brought his father’s (Mr. George Bates of Sowerby bridge) plans of the Listerwick mill corn-grinding machinery, but no estimate with them – 

They did the wheel of the Misses Walker of Walterclough – 40 foot diameter and 6 feet of breast – They had bad tenants (Mr. Sowden), who did not keep the grates clean – Let pieces of wood get in, and break the buckets, and did not oil the wheel properly – 

Mr. Edwards of Pyenest has a mill at Ripponden water wheel (under Mr. Wheelwright), 25 foot diameter 6 foot breast – 

Wished me to ride over to see a new corn-mill at Hebden bridge – 6 pair stone (Listerwick to have 5 pair at 3 horsepower per pair = 15 horse power) – Water wheel 42 foot diameter and 6 foot breast – 

Mr. Henry Priestley going to build a mill in Cross Valley – 60 feet of fall at 18/. per foot = £54 per annum and a Mr. Hinscliffe had bid £100 then £200 and lastly £300 for the fee simple of it – Mr. Henry Priestley had had Messers Bates to level and value for him – Annoyed at the lowness of the offer – His Steward John Maude of Sowerby Bridge advised his building – but was worse again on Friday – Not expected to live from day to day – Quite out of his head – His own man servant told Mr. Samuel Bates that it was sure to be true.

It was near 3 before he went away – Then wrote the above of today till 3 1/4 –

Then out – Ingham and his boy at the hay-place (opening into the farm and adjoining the new necessaries) wall –

Saw Sam Booth come up with his right ear covered with blood – Stubbing the old hedge between Pearson Ing and round Ing and Michael had struck him accidentally with a mattock – Sent John Booth with Sam to the Dispensary – Then with Robert +3 exclusive of Sam –

Then with Joseph Mann – Wants me to let the dead water (upper bed dead water ) off near where they are pulling up Long goit stuff within a few yards of the Engine pit –

Then to John Oates’s – Stood talking to John Oates a long time till after 6 – Joseph Mann will begin taking the sod off tomorrow for sinking Listerwick tomorrow – Told John I should take the whole of that piece – He made no objection – I said took it then as settled.  Yes! – I said nothing more – No allowance was named – He would know I should not forget his paying £60 instead of £70 for the farm –

He said I ought to have another shuttle to let the Spiggs water come into the meer at the bottom.  Asked him to think this over and tell me how he thought it should be managed – He said the meer-banks had sunk 3 feet too low now – The bywash at the low end too low – The water would be over or very near the top of the present banks –

Home at 6 1/2.  Ready in 10 minutes – Dinner at 7 – Tea – Wrote the last 11 1/2 lines till 9 50/..

Fahrenheit 29° at 9 3/4 p.m.  A few snow showers during the day till between 2 and 3 p.m.  Afterwards fine –

 

WYAS Finding Number SH:7/ML/E/20/0040


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835