Tuesday, Aprill 11, 1837

 1837

April

Tuesday 11

10 35/..

12

Slept last night in the kitchen chamber and slept very well – 1st time of sleeping alone since Ann has been here – Poor dear Ann ! Very lonely to be without her –

Ready in 55 minutes – Breakfast in the blue room at 11 35/.. and Ann sat with me – Sat talking till after 1 – Dawdling about –

My eye not quite so well this morning as yesterday morning ? Ann says I did too much yesterday –

At my desk now at 1 50/.. – Meant to have written letters, but when I had written and copied my letter to Mr. Harper, found my eye unwilling to do more – wrote to Mr. Harper in answer to his letter of yesterday asking me if he should get another estimate of the Listerwick millwright work – Astonished – £1150 instead of £500 – Told him to get one or more estimates from whom and from where he thought best – To bring with him the old brass thing (found in the clay west side of the barn and stabling)– and to bring the rough draft of the advertisement of the hotel, and said his idea of a building for the Mechanics’ Institute might enlarge itself to £2,000 or £2,500.

From 3 to 7 (unable to do anything else), dusting and arranging my books in my portable bookcase in the drawing room –

Ann off to Cliff hill at 2 1/2 back at 6 1/4 or 6 1/2 – Dinner at 7 5/.. – Coffee – Ann had taken sweet biscuits and sourish? currant wine at dinner and very sick towards 9 and 10 – Went to bed as fast as she could – In bed and had tea and rather better at 10 3/4 –

Sent off my letter tonight to ‘John Harper, Esquire, St. Leonard’s Place, York, Postage Paid’.  

Wrote the last 11 lines till 11 p.m., at which hour Fahrenheit 30° – Snow showers during the day – Several after I got up – Particularly in the afternoon –

Had Dobson just after dinner – George Naylor satisfied about the ground made up – Wants to get a post of stone into the Lane –

 

WYAS Finding Number SH:7/ML/E/20/0044

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835