Tuesday, February 4,1840

1840

February

Tuesday 4

8 40/..

Ann came for 1/4 hour – Fine morning; Réaumur 12 3/4° on my table and 12 1/2° on the console now at 9 25/..

Sent off my packet to Princess Radzivill on getting out of bed at 8 40/.. by George, who brought back note note while we were at breakfast at 10 10/.. to 10 40/.. – Sat down to my writing –

At 11 55/.. Mr. Camidge called.  Had sent back 2 newspapers this morning before breakfast with compliments and should be glad to see him for 5 minutes to take leave – Staid 35 minutes till 12 1/2 – Lord Londonderry’s book défendre – very favorable to Russia, till, just at the last, he seems to contradict himself and gives his own opinions of such sort as to condemn his book –

Had George or Gross – Went down about the Kibitka – It was 5 1/2 before I had done all my 8 letters –

Dinner over at 6 55/.. – I had apologized to the Ladies Stuart for not writing from St. Petersburg – and had made several lines mention of Sweden and Finland – on Ann’s shewing me that I had written (28 September) from St. Petersburg, I was obliged to write my 2 letters over again ! What a bore ! And it was 12 before I had done and sealed and directed and copied the 3 business letters into business letter book –

I forgot to let Ann copy Lady Gordon, but she copied Marian and I have the altered letters that I wrote first to the Stuarts

Had Grotza to my hair and then had her packing dresses in Russian portmanteau and hats and frills till 3 20/..

Then wrote all but the 1st five lines of today – 

Ann lay down in her clothes about 4 this morning and I about 6 1/2 for about 1 1/2 hour –

Fine day – What a hurry there always is to get off –

 

WYAS Finding Numbers SH:7/ML/E/23/0195 and SH:7/ML/E/23/0195


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835