Friday, May 8, 1829

1829

May

Friday 8

7

11 20/60

Out at 8 1/2 – Direct to the Tuileries Gardens – Beautiful, sunny morning – Sauntered up and down under the shade – Read the whole of Leçon 9, Laugier’s Chemistry, then took a sharpish turn or 2, and came in at 10 1/4 – Breakfast at 10 40/60 in 1/2 hour – Before and after, looking over my translation into French –

Then wrote the following to Miss Hobart –

‘Dear ‘Miss Hobart –

You would see from my note yesterday that I had not, at the time of writing it, received your little packet – The souvenir is very pretty in all senses of the word, and will be highly valued for the giver’s sake – I got the bag quite safe, so neatly tied and ticketed, one could guess who must have done it –

I should have been more exact about the Eau de Cologne, had I been certain whether I said one bottle or a bottle or 2 – No matter – That very bottle shall be kept for Sibbella –

I should, at all rates, have had no option as to seeing you on Saturday as I myself am always engaged on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday – I hope you will not be shocked to hear, I seldom or never go to church, thinking it right to stay at home and read the service to my aunt, who is too infirm to go, ‘and to the servants –

Would you like to see the Bains d’Enghien?  They are very pretty, – close to Montmorency, a nice morning’s drive – One should be off by 10 – If you would like it, fix any day but one of the 3 above named when I am always engaged –

Very truly yours,

AL–

Friday, 8 May 1829.’

At 12 20/60, sent George with the above note to ‘Miss Hobart’, and with a book to Jane Barlow (The Writer’s Wreath? or some such thing she lent my aunt), and with Miss Hobart’s and my passport to the préfecture de police – When George returned, brought it back saying they wanted to know Miss Hobart’s age, and that the passport must 1st go to your Ambassador –

Till 1 25/60, wrote all but the 1st 12 1/2 lines of yesterday and the first 3 of today.

Then Mrs. Barlow, who had been an hour with my aunt came to me (at 1 25/60) unluckily and staid till four and twenty five minutes.  Grubbled and right middle finger up for a few minutes at three. 

We had before been talking of her father.  She said he had been acquitted on his trial in Guernsey, owning, however, that there was no jury there as in England, but twelve judges who were all his particular friends.  He could not be condemned.  He was in the house by himself to take care of the furniture (they were flitting) and had forgotten to put the lamp out that was burning in the hall.  He was awaked by cries of fire from the people in the street and escaped out of a window in his shirt into the street.  Her aunt Mary does not believe it was he set fire to the house, nor will Miss Barlow believe it.  Her sister, Miss Carter, was mad to say so many things against him as she at one time till it was believed that he had cheated her of some of her remittances from Colonel Carter.  Not likely he should be the incendiary, for the house was just newly furnished and the insurance was only seven hundred pounds.

After the grubbling, pretended to sleep.  Said that Cameron’s being in my bedroom was tiresome.  I had neither had Miss Barlow, nor let her alone.  Must manage better another time.

Would Jane ever let me pass thro her room in a morning early.  She was well enough inclined.  I just touched then thro her gown in front, tried to get up her petticoats, but could not make my way thro her drawers and should at once without a word have given it up, but she, without more ado, undid herself and made way for me.  She was wet and ready for me and had pleasure, but not enough of me.  Her breath was very bad.  I wished her away, and sadly begrudged my time.

She seems to much dislike my going to Guernsey, but now gets over it pretty well.  Asked if Miss Lawton did not know all about it, and appeared pleased to find she did not know anything of it –

Mrs. Barlow left me at 4 25/60 – The Captain Lawrence who married Margaret MacDonald married 1st a Miss Lemerchant, who had £500 a year all settled on her children, but Captain Lawrence had nothing but his 1/2 pay – Margaret MacDonald said to have £150 a year of her own! – Of course, I said nothing nor for nor against it –

From 4 25/60 to 5 5/60 wrote all but the first three lines of today – Then wrote out in my little book of memoranda of lectures of the 2 botanical and 2 chemical lectures that I have attended at the Jardin des Plantes –

Dinner at 6 1/2 – Came to my room at 8 – Read the first 21 pages (from page 345. to 366), Bulletin des Sciences Naturelles and de Géologie, number 3, which came this afternoon

Then at 9, note from Madame de Rosny – She will come on Monday à midi – Had hoped I should have gone to see her ‘mais n’importe je ne me plains pas’ ……. She has much to say to me.  ‘J’ai àvous parler de plusieurs choses’ –

Coffee at 9 1/2 – Came to my room at 10 1/4 – Reading Mérat’s botany –

Very fine day –


WYAS Finding Number SH:7/ML/E/12/0018


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835