Sunday, May 10, 1829

1829

May

Sunday 10

6 3/4

11 20/60

Cameron did not immediately answer my bell at 7 3/4, so put on my dressing gown, and at my desk at 7 55/60.  From then to 10 1/2 at my accounts seeing what I paid for Miss Hobart’s company etc.  Her coming with me seems to have cost me about thirteen pounds additional.  I am now inclined not to begrudge it, for at ten, half hour ago, came the following little note from her

‘Embassy Sunday

Dear Miss Lister,

Have you made any project for today? I should be delighted to take a drive with you and am free, as my people dine out.  After half past two I shall be ready, but only in case it is perfectly agreeable and convenient to you.

Yours truly,

V Hobart’

This is not as if she willfully missed seeing me at the ball.  I begin to be better satisfied –

At 10, little note from Miss Hobart, to say she should be delighted to take a drive  with me today if quite agreeable and convenient to me, and should be ready after 2 1/2 – Sent George immediately to Drake’s for horses – None to be had – Then sent him to do the best he could elsewhere –

Wrote the above of this morning till 10 40/60 – Then talking to my aunt – Thinks we cannot afford to live here, must have another servant, a cook –

Breakfast at 11 and reading over Galignani’s Paris Guide to see where to take Miss Hobart till 11 50/60 – Then dressing till 12 1/4 – Then went in to my aunt till my room was done, and staid talking to her – She cannot tell whether it is her inclination to stay here or go to Shibden –

From 1 1/4, read the morning prayers, without liturgy or communion, and Sermon 3, bishop Sandford.

Came to my room – Dawdled over 1 thing or other – Expecting the remise at 2 – Did not come till 2 40/60.  Off immediately to the Embassy – Went upstairs – Miss Hobart ready – But standing talking a little, Lady Stuart came and asked me into the sitting room – Very civil – Staid perhaps 1/4 hour, and Miss Hobart and I off to Arcueil about 3 – Saw the aqueduct, then, in returning, went into the church of the Val de Grace – Then drove to the Jardin des Plantes – Entered by the library gate – Walked some time in the garden – Then returned by the church of Saint Sulpice, and went in to see it –

Then set Miss Hobart down at the Embassy, and got home at 7 1/4 –

Miss Hobart and I very good friends.  I really begin to think she likes me.  Said her Aunt Stuart had been very angry with her for not seeing me at the ball.  She is to keep Mariana’s purse I gave her at Calais.  I told her there who had netted it for me and that she must give it me back again unless she would keep it in remembrance of me.  She made no reply then, but answered readily now that she would keep it on the condition imposed.  Reminded her of the promise she had made to write and tell me herself before she married.  I said I should keep the souvenir very carefully for her sake and she must let me give her something one of these days.  Said she must really think of me now and then.  She said she should be very ungrateful if she did not

Changed my dress – Dinner at 7 3/4 – Mrs. Barlow came soon after 8, to say she had been looking at apartments – Had seen nothing particularly likely to suit us –

Came to my room at 9 – wrote the prescription for the sulphur mixture, and sent George at 9 10/60 to get it made up, desiring him to wait for it, let me see it, and then take it to the Embassy for Miss Hobart – She would like to go to Mortefontaine – Promised to take her – for she thinks they shall make a party from the embassy to Montmorency – She seemed pleased with our drive today –

Wrote the last 20 lines, and went into the drawing room at 9 1/2 – Mrs. Barlow staid till 10 – I 1/2 asleep all the while –

George brought back the electuary at 10 1/2, and sent him with it to the embassy immediately

Came to my room at 10 40/60.

Very fine, warm day –


WYAS Finding Number SH:7/ML/E/12/0019


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835