Sunday, May 17, 1829

1829

May

Sunday 17

7 3/4

11 40/60 

Till 1/2 past 10 (partly dressed), arranging my books from Shibden and reading from page 153 to 165, Clark on the climate and diseases of the South of France, vide Dr. Laennec’s invention of the stethoscope, page 158, and page 160 et seq., observations on Dr. Broussais, his theory of treatment of fever, vide vide

At 10 35/60, dressed – While my sitting room was done, sat in my dressing room (my quondam little bedroom), cutting open and reading here and there Arnott’s Physics (the notes of critique on Mr. Charles Bell’s ‘animal mechanics’ – page 225 et seq.) at 11 1/4 in 1/2 hour – Then read the first 24 pages, Introduction to Arnott’s Physics –

From 12 20/60 to 12 55/60, read the whole service (my aunt acting as clerk) and Sermon 4, Bishop Sandford –

Then staid talking near an hour – My aunt has been poorly these last 2 or 3 days – McDonald carried her to bed last night and night before – She feels swells – Thinks the climate has done her all the good it can – Thinks she gets gradually worse – After all, her decision to stay here and take another apartment wavers again today, and thinks she wants nothing but to be quiet, and that perhaps she had best go to Shibden.

Came to my room a little before 2 – Read the 1st 58 pages, Bolingbroke’s Letters on the Study of History –

Then wrote the last 7 lines, which took me till 3 40/60 –

Somehow I have a good deal of discharge now, have had ever since my return, but particularly these last few days or a week.  Mere leucorrhea, thick yellowish stuff that when dry rubs off in powder –

Then read from page 58 to 87, Bolingbroke, till 4 20/60, when McDonald brought in the card of Monsieur and Madame Charles Droz, that had been slipped in under the anteroom door – There had been a ring a little while ago, but George and Cameron were out and nobody attended to it – Either George or Cameron must stay at home in future –

Went out at 4 3/4 – At Madame Galvani’s in 25 minutes – She looked at the apartment yesterday 34 rue de Bourbon – The proprietaire an avocat, dernier prix 2200 francs per annum – Too much – Got Madame Galvani to write a note to Mr. Dasseau, rue du Bac No.  43 about the  seconde, rue Saint Florentin No. 11, to ask the dernier prix – As I returned, put the note into the post No. 72 Voltaire –

Madame Galvani has inquired – No introduction to the lecturers i.e. professors at the Jardin des Plantes necessary – About 1/2 hour with Madame Galvani.  A gentleman and young lady, his daughter, advised by Madame Galvani to give lessons,  were just going away, and by and by an elderly gentleman came to dine with her –

Got home at 6 5/60 – Dinner at 6 1/4 – Came to my room at 8 5/60 –

I scarce know what to do about apartments – Shall we stay here, and I make up my mind to go to Italy, if not with Mariana, with Mrs. Barlow in October?  Then McDonald can cook for my aunt and George – If I am here, we must have a French cook

Then read from page 87 to 134, Bolingbrokes letters, on the Study of History – Letter 3 against the sacred scriptures

Coffee at 9 20/60 – My aunt shewed me her legs – Ancles and knees swelled – Just a little – Toes reddish and 1 over another – Rather discoloured, blackish in places – and ditto about; under the ancles –

Came to my room at 10 – Wrote my washing bill – Read from page 134 to 159, Bolingbroke – vide page 141 to 149, respecting the perversions and falsifications of history by the clergy, and that they themselves have injured the cause of Christianity – page 136. thinks Davila equal to Livy and prefers Guicciardin to Thucydides

Wrote the last 6 lines, and had just done at 11 1/4 –

Very fine day – Fahrenheit about 70° when I went out this afternoon –

 

WYAS Finding Number SH:7/ML/E/12/0024


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835