Tuesday, May 12, 1829

1829

May

Tuesday 12

5 20/60

12 10/60

Breakfast at 6 1/2 – Off at 6 50/60 – From our own porte cochère to the Pont Neuf in 22 minutes, thence to within the gate of the Jardin des Plantes (rue de Seine) in 25 minutes – Our clock nearly 10 minutes too soon, so there a minute or 2 before the lecture began – Lasted just an hour – Rather meagre lecture –

Walked about for 1/2 hour – Then went into the lecture room and sat there 20 minutes, reading over M. Laugier’s Leçon 10 (nature and properties of azote).  Chemical lecture from 9 20/60, by the clock there, to 10 40/60 – Much more interested in the chemical than in the botanical lectures

Got home in 50 minutes at 11 3/4 – Very warm – 1/2 hour’s nap on the sofa, to get cool – Then dressed –

Out at 1 1/2 in the carriage to No. 5 rue de l’Université – The Comte and Countesse de Noé at home, though she did not appear of 10 minutes or 1/4 hour – Lady Blantyre there, and a Mr. and Mrs. Stuart or Captain? and Mrs. Stuart – Talked to them a little before Madame de Noé came – They took Mademoiselle de Noé out with them and I remained –

Asked the Comte de Noé if, in the event of my aunt’s leaving Paris, it would be possible for me to get into some respectable French family – by dint of introductions or money, without being known to be, or at all considered as being, en pension – No! Impossible – Not usual here – Had been several times applied to for the same thing, but could never manage it – Madame de Noé mentioned a Miss Laird who, though niece? to lady Lindsay, had no fortune, had had a situation here as governess,was going to leave it, and take an apartment here, meaning to take young ladies – This, of course, was not what I wanted, and I took no notice of it –

About 1/2 hour at the de Noé’s – In returning, called on Mrs. Barlow.  Waited some time and brought her home with me, and came in at 2 50/60 – In going down her own stairs, she fell and sprained her wrist – She went out with my aunt, an airing to the Bois de Boulogne, at 3 5/60 – I lay down on the sofa and dozed till they came back at 5 10/60 –

My aunt then, in the presence of Mrs. Barlow and McDonald, who signed as witnesses, and in the presence of myself, signed her acquittance of the estate from what my grandfather left her –

Mrs. Barlow then sat with me near 1/2 hour while I changed my dress – She had told me before, her father’s was not a bailable offence.  He was in prison till his trial came or was acquitted.  She and her brother and aunt would have had another trial in England, but it would be in all the English papers, and there was nothing to bring forward to acquit him with eclat, and all his past conduct would be against him.  Said she was right to prevent publicity. 

Said Madame de Rosny was here the other day, an apartment in her house that might suit us. Mrs. Barlow did not say much, but simply that she had looked at it for us and that the kitchen was bad and the two rooms for me very small.  said Madame de Rosny had asked why I did not go so often to see her, and I said it was from delicatesse.  I had heard she wanted a guaranty for having me in house and I had too much regard for herself and reputation to let her run any risks on my account. Mrs. Barlow seemed pleased but said nothing –

My aunt having said last night she thought she had better remain in this apartment if I travelled next winter, this made me think that, as Mrs. Barlow has always said , she would rather not leave Paris – I therefore lay musing on the sofa this afternoon, and determined to take another apartment – After dinner, my aunt said she thought if I travelled for a year or 2, she had best go to Shibden, and return afterwards – I cannot now determine about travelling for so long or not – Told my aunt I only wished to make out, whether it was her inclination remain here or not – She could not possibly tell, and because so nervous (in tears), that I said I would try to name the subject no more, and would settle it one way or other without more ado – Would get another apartment –

Dinner at 6 10/60 – Came to my room at 7 3/4.  1/4 hour’s loll on the sofa – and wrote the above of today –

Coffee at 9 20/60 – Staid talking to my aunt – She is now determined for staying here, and hopes I shall find an apartment to suit us – When it comes to the point, she likes not leaving Paris – I told her she was spoilt now for England and Shibden –

Came to my room at 10 25/60, at which hour, Fahrenheit (hung out of my sitting room window to the west) 61°.  Very fine warm day – Delightful evening and night –

Well! I am now satisfied about staying here – Whatever happens, my aunt cannot feel that I am the cause of her staying –

Sat musing above half hour what to do about apartments, establishment etc. – Can never get into society without more style of appearance.  Could I have a maitre d hotel even if I gave him what the Baron de Vincent did Yucato, eighteen hundred francs a year and five percent on all he brought in –


WYAS Finding Number SH:7/ML/E/12/0021


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835