Wednesday, May 13, 1829

1829

May

Wednesday 13

6 10/60

11 40/60

From 7 1/4 to 8 20/60, read carefully Leçon 11, Laugier’s chemistry –

Out at 8 1/2 – Walked 1/2 hour in the Tuileries gardens –

Then to rue de la Ville-l'Évêque No.  43 – There at 9 1/2 – Madame de Rosny just up – Saw her apartment – Would not suit us, though neat and comfortable for her – Stairs not good enough – Room too low – The two bedrooms too small and the 3rd a mere cabinet – A corner house, therefore 5 windows into the salon, one of them blocked up by Madame de Rosny.

On looking at the apartment, saw her son – Pas si laid que je ne l’attendais comme je disais à Madame – She sent for him (ætatis 19 1/2) to shew me his sketches – He said he really had none in a state to shew – Somehow got him into conversation – He regretted having begun his education so late as at 13 – Finding that he requires more study now that his mother may fancy he has had enough – He is right – Is reading Demosthenes de Corona, and has read the Memorabilia – Finds them difficult – Did not ask him his Latin author, but he asked me if I had seen Virgil, and seemed to speak as if he himself had not got so far – In short, then, he is backward still – Madame de Rosny would send him to École polytechnique to be in the army –

This does not seem his taste – The classics and history what he likes best – Said he should choose the law or the diplomacy – Would like the latter – Said his mother should try, and get him into it –

Then heard all her complaints against him.  Poor fellow, he took it very patiently. His want of frankness, even lying.  Want of cleanliness.  His prejudices against her and gaucherie in the world, etc.  Said she expected too much at once, should give him time.  Said I would answer for him.  He had good sense and talent and ambition too, and I suppose good heart.  There was all that was requisite, and give him six months I was sure he would do.  Said she was trop vive, and ought not to encourage suspicions against him, for she had everything to hope.  Poor fellow, she manages him ill.  On coming away, said I must shake hands with him because I had answered for him, and he must consider it agreed that he should not disappoint me.  A little considerate kindness would do much with him. 

She evidently delighted to see me.

Got home from Madame de Rosny’s in 10 minutes at 11 1/2 – Breakfast at 11 50/60.  Before and after till 2, read the whole of Galignani’s Messenger of today and nodded over it several times – A long account of the budget from the chancellor of the exchequer – Allows the depression of the country, but one way or other near 5 millions of surplus revenue last year – Cannot  export so much this year, but calculates to have a surplus of above 3 millions this year –

Last night I was musing even after getting into bed of having a nicely appointed establishment here, but all shall give way to prudence.

Must have some style to get into society.  I will not mind it, but rather save my money and be at ease.

Till 2 35/60, wrote so far of today – From then to 5 50/60, at my accounts private and general – Changed my dress in 10 minutes – Dinner at 6 8/60 – Came to my room at 7 1/2, and from then to 9, at my accounts.  Finished writing in general day weekly expenses up to the present time –

Coffee at 9 5/60 – Came to my room at 10 20/60 – Reading Mérat’s botany till 11 1/4 –

Very fine, warm day – Fahrenheit 72° hung out of my window (not exactly in the sun) at 3 p.m. –


WYAS Finding Numbers SH:7/ML/E/12/0021 and SH:7/ML/E/12/0022


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835