Monday, May 11, 1829

1829

May

Monday 11

7 10/60

11 20/60

From 8 to 11, at my private accounts – Breakfast at 11 in 1/2 hour – Dr. Tupper called soon after 11, I know not what for – I not dressed, did not see him – Then dressed – Madame Coutaut came about pocket handkerchiefs for my aunt – Saw her for a few minutes –

Then came Madame de Rosny at 12 20/60, and staid till 4 10/60 – It was her friend the Comte de Dadémare  (as pronounced) [D'adhémar] who out of compliment to her was so civil to Mrs. Barlow and Jane at the Ambassador’s ball, seeing them quite alone, and not speaking to, or seeming to know anyone – He danced with Jane, old as he is (ætatis about 50), and then got her young de St. Aulaire as a partner –

Madame de Rosny thinks it rather extraordinary that Mrs. Barlow should visit where she (Madame de Rosny) introduced her, and should take advantage de sa société, and not be upon terms with herself – And what for? Said I thought it was on account of M. de Birague, who had written letters to Jane – No! it could not be that , for Mrs. Barlow had been with Madame de Rosny after that at the opera in Mr. Trafford’s box, and all seemed well –

Then mentioned 2 or 3 things Madame de Rosny had said of me to Mrs. Barlow – That, she did not like – Madame de  Rosny said she should certainly have been very foolish to say them, and certainly never did say them in the manner I named, but she could not account for the way in which things said very innocently might have been turned – She had always been cautious but is persuaded that Mrs. Barlow’s conduct is on my account.  She is jealous of me and wants to destroy all intercourse between Madame de Rosny and me.  I simply said I really could not understand this. 

Poor Madame de Rosny, she little thinks how Mrs. Barlow tried to make me cut her (Madame de Rosny) and almost brought it to.  I must either cut one or other of them –

Madame de Rosny wanted me to make it up between them, which I declined, but said I would tell Mrs. Barlow what Madame de Rosny said about her visiting her societe and not speaking to herself.  On second thoughts, I will say nothing about it.  Madame de Rosny told me in the first instance that the Count de D’adhémar  had seen Lady Vavasour, who had spoken highly of Madame de Rosny and how much she liked her, but Mr. Trafford was her relation and he said he would cut anyone who visited Madame de Rosny.  She asked my advice.  Said that as her son was not fit for any such thing, her brother in law should ask an explanation of Mr. Trafford or she should leave the matter to its fate, keep to her French friends, and leave the English to them selves.  She had been much too facile enverseux.

She said Major White had told Madame de Falloux that I had no esprit and did not speak English well and that Lady Vavasour had said Mrs Barlow was not a person comme il faut. Barlow was a very common name in England, un nom tres coummon, which means something rather worse a nom du peuple.

Shewed Madame de Rosny Madame Decontance’s bill – for 2 dresses 616.75 – She said the blonde was much too dear, et peronne ne laissait fourrier l’étaffe à la couturière –

Speaking of apartments, Madame de Rosny mentioned the premier in her house, 43 rue de la ville Lévîque was, or would be, to let – Very good apartment – 2 bedrooms and a boudoir for 3rd bedroom at 1800 francs per annum – Said I would go, and look at it perhaps on Wednesday between 9 and 10 a.m.

Said I had not gone to see her from delicatesse, for I had been told she had said she was surprised to find that I was the same person that Madame de Boyves jokes so oddly of, for she had no idea of it when I went to her.  Madame de Rosny did not say Mrs. Barlow told me.  She, Madame de Rosny, said she, Mrs. Barlow, was her guarantee. 

Madame de Rosny seemed to suppose that some English person had told me who might have heard it from Madame de Boyve.  Let her understand I could not go much to see her on account of my aunt, whom she thinks Mrs. Barlow has prejudiced against her –

Madame de Rosny gave me Madame de Nef’s address, rue Villedot (près rue Sainte Anne No. 12, and that of Dr. Tanchou, rue d’Amboise  (No. 7) près celle de Richelieu – Said I should invite Dr.Tanchou some evening , by and by – 

Did not think of what I said.   That would look odd in France. I shall do no such thing –

Mentioned Justine to her, and she shewed she would she would soon enter into queer conversation.  Somehow she does not look better than she should be. 

She mentioned writing to Mr. Trafford for an explanation, but I advised her not.  She talked of how easy it was to get to our ambassador’s ball.  One had only to leave one’s card. I know not what to make of it all.  Mr. Trafford must have some good reason for what he does.  Has he heard that Madame de Rosny is as Madame Galvani says.  Mr. de la Martignac told her paid by government as one of their pickers up of intelligence.  Had Mrs. Barlow been different, she would have sufficed to amuse and do all for me and I had never known Madame de Rosny, but alas, Mrs. Barlow is indeed jealous and a tiresome and great goose.  

Madame de Rosny says the comte de Dademare [D'adhémar] wishes to marry and she would have him but he has such a bad breath.  Is this really true –

From 4 20/60 to 5 1/2, wrote the above of today – Madame de Rosny’s visit of 4 hours has somewhat infringed upon the time I should otherwise have given to my accounts –

Madame de Rosny must have some reason for all her partiality to having English at her parties, after all the slights she gets from them.  Is it because this is a part of her government duty as spy upon us all.  I will praise the Bourbons and the things that be if I speak at all about them.

It just occurs to me to ask the count de Noé if he knows any really respectable person would take me en pension, one with whom I could visit in comfort and study at the same time –

Changed my dress –

At 6, packet enclosing a letter and note from Miss MacLean and a few lines on the envelope from Miss Hobart – ‘1000 grazie for what you sent me’, the sulphur electuary last night – We get better friends.

‘Dear Miss Lister,

Here are some Sibbellas for you.  I have one of my own which I shall impart to you when we meet, but there is nothing of consequence in it. 

If you have any letters for England, send them to me today before six.  

I hope you are not the worse for the very delightful and agreeable day you gave me. 

Ever yours,

VH’

This is all very well.  Perhaps she will end in liking me.  She is a nice girl, but I know not that she would suit me even if I could have her.  Mais c’est une bonne connaissance –

Goodish account of Miss MacLean (17 Duke Street Portland Place, May 8th-9th) i.e. she has been very ill, but is better and going on well –

Her uncle has given her another fifty pounds.

Miss Hudson is still alive and that is all –

‘Lord Harewood was for an hour in the practice room with the gentlemen, and told them he was quite a convert, and would do all he could to serve Mr. Long . . . . . . Lord Harewood told Mr. Long he had been watching Miss Hudson’s case from the 1st, that he knew all about it.  Mr. Long then said she was dying. ‘I know it – but that does not alter my opinion of your system’ –

I am to begin in a few days to take the essence of Sarsaparilla’ – . . . .

‘I dined yesterday (the 7th I suppose) at Mr. Long’s, nobody but the honourable Kings – Sweet, elegant, pretty, well educated girls – Father and mother plain, kind, gentlemanlike folk, and Campbell the poet, all certainly as fond as possible of the landlord –

Poor fellow, he needs all his wits about him. Lord Ingerstrie is doing all he can to spoil him – and tells him before a year is over, all the medical men will cringe to him – They rode 12 miles together today – and his lordship is so smitten – that he encourages meeting with his sister lady –– –– Not at all to Mr. Long’s desire, for their meeting was chance – and as yet he has declined going – He says she is lovely – and so engaging and free in her manners to him, he does not like to trust himself  – I saw a letter from the 90 thousand pounder – written more closely than any of yours to me in the days of yore – He had had it 3 days in his pocket and never yet read it – I tried to make out the postmark, but could only make out Suisse’ –

Before leaving London, she unknown to Mr. Long changed her banker, leaving his in charge of her estate in the country’

Margaret Roxburgh well? but has inward ulcers to a great extent’ and from the womb, but he says not so bad as mine was’ Well! I do not understand it –

Vere in her last gave me a hint about you – Have you seriously any idea of coming with your aunt to England? And giving up your house in Paris? I shall not be cheated out of my 3 months of you, wherever you may be – I warn you of that’ –

Miss MacLean’s note is to tell me of a lady’s maid she thinks would just suit me – Has a great fancy for me to have her, for sure I shall never like Cameron – Lowland Scotch – With Mr. Long for the present – Placed with him by Miss MacLean.  Would suit me better than Jessy – This may be – but I will see and choose for myself in future – But thanks to Miss MacLean nothing can do better than McDonald for my aunt –

Whether my aunt will go to Shibden or not, I cannot tell as yet –

Came to my room at 7 3/4, and from then to 8 3/4, wrote the last 30 1/2 lines of today – Coffee at 9 10/60 – Staid talking to my aunt till 10 1/2, then came to my room –

Very fine, warm day –


WYAS Finding Numbers SH:7/ML/E/12/0020 and SH:7/ML/E/12/0021


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, March 16, 1837

Thursday, September 17, 1835

Saturday, September 26, 1835